Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurses' titles

Jennyford

I suspect this is a very basic question, but have not been able to find the answer. What were 'Voluntary' and 'Home' Sisters? I'm interested in Endell Street, and found this in a BJN announcement of an appointment to the Central Midwives' Board

"When the Military Hospital, Endell Street, W.C., was opened, she worked there first as a Voluntary Sister, and was then appointed Home Sister."

Jennian

Jennian

It's a bit like trying to decipher other people's abbreviations! I think the term 'Voluntary Sister' would have signified that she was a civilian and/or private nurse, probably coming from one of London's Voluntary Hospitals (as opposed to those of the Poor Law Unions or military nursing services). The term Home Sister was widely, and I would say exclusively, used for the nurse who was responsible for overseeing a Nurses' Home - both the domestic arrangements and staff discipline. She was a sturdy soul, who had eyes in the back of her head, at least four pairs of ears, magic shoes that let her creep up on wayward nurses misbehaving, and the ability to go without sleep for weeks on end, enabling her to sit up all night, every night, just waiting for late-comers to climb in a window. I seem to recall that she passed away circa 1970.

I, and millions of other nurses, KNEW THAT WOMAN :wacko:

Sue

• Admin

There was a lady who more than adequately fitted this description alive and well in 1982. To your excellent summary I will add always lets her yappy dog out when the night workers got back to the nurses home, the dog would then keep them awake for ages.

Michelle

The term Home Sister was widely, and I would say exclusively, used for the nurse who was responsible for overseeing a Nurses' Home - both the domestic arrangements and staff discipline. She was a sturdy soul, who had eyes in the back of her head, at least four pairs of ears, magic shoes that let her creep up on wayward nurses misbehaving, and the ability to go without sleep for weeks on end, enabling her to sit up all night, every night, just waiting for late-comers to climb in a window. I seem to recall that she passed away circa 1970.

I, and millions of other nurses, KNEW THAT WOMAN :wacko:

Sue