Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artillery - East Africa

SteveE

I think this is the same gun as in the first posting - but its in SWAfrica (1915) not East Africa!

Centurion

Nice photo!

Your continued efforts on my behalf are much appreciated, however in this instance I have to disagree that this gun and that of my first posting are the same.

I'd agree that the wheels are similar but the gun you have shown has a top mounted recoil spring box, on mine it is conspicuous by its absence and would therefore appear to be below the barrel.

I've approached the subject from a slightly different angle and, with the help of fellow forum member Bob H, have come to the conclusion that the gun in my posting is a 12-pdr. 18cwt. Naval Gun. I'm away from any references I might have as to which batteries used this size of gun but I'll hopefully be able to look tonight.

Regards

Steve

Guys

The gun in centurion's post no 25 is one of the QF 4.7-inch guns of "M" Battery and is thus not the gun in SteveE's original query.

There was an in-depth (and I thought very helpful and useful) discussion on RodB's topic East Africa Campaign, precisely which 7 pdr & 12 pdr guns ? at

My post (yet again meagre and tentative but definitely ruling out the guns of Begbie's Battery) on 3rd Apr 2008 at

was made in the spirit of a follow-up with some new information.

There are 166 handbooks under ADM 186 at TNA / PRO Kew but this problem with the correct identification of those piece/s will be only resolved by referring to the Handbook for 12 pdr. quick-firing guns (1913) (48 Pages 33 Plates) under ADM 186/189 and in particular plates XXX.(The field carriage for 12-cwt. Gun), XXXI (The field carriage and limber for 18-cwt. Gun) and XXXII (The field carriage and limber for 8-cwt. Gun).

Should one of our TNA / PRO experts not have these images whirling on his hard drive, then I will commission a researcher to provide the necessary images and resolve what seem so to be a 90-year old mystery.

Carl

Carl, Thanks for directing me back to that thread, I had not seen its full evolution.

Has Steve not answered his own question in his previous posts within that thread?

Roop

Edited by spof

Has Steve not answered his own question in his previous posts within that thread?

I have ?? :huh::unsure:

I've been to have a look, only posted once on that thread and an innocuous looking post it was too, only added for a bit of information.

Doesn't really help but, just out of interest, I came across an entry today in the War Diary of Maktau Base Depot Commandant (WO95/5379)....

6/3/1916 Departures.

(a) R.M.A. Bde. Headquarters (3 British officers, 14 R&F & 1 Follower)

(b.) R.M.A. - 9th Field Battery (4 B.O.s, 106 R& F, 8 lorries & 4 12-Pounders)

Steve

Bingo!! With the conclusion of that thread from other contributors (Carl and Harry), having identified the gun as a 12-pdr 18 cwt. and gone through the OH again just to be on the safe side ;) , the only battery to use the 12-pdr 18 cwt. guns was No.9 Battery.

Thanks in this instance to Carl & Roop for pointing me back to where the answer lay and, quite inadvertently, where I did sort of answer my own question. All I need to know now is why it's captioned "7th SAI" :huh:

Thanks

Steve

There are 166 handbooks under ADM 186 at TNA / PRO Kew but this problem with the correct identification of those piece/s will be only resolved by referring to the Handbook for 12 pdr. quick-firing guns (1913) (48 Pages 33 Plates) under ADM 186/189 and in particular plates XXX.(The field carriage for 12-cwt. Gun), XXXI (The field carriage and limber for 18-cwt. Gun) and XXXII (The field carriage and limber for 8-cwt. Gun).

Should one of our TNA / PRO experts not have these images whirling on his hard drive, then I will commission a researcher to provide the necessary images and resolve what seem so to be a 90-year old mystery.

Carl

I tend to go to the NA at least a couple of times a year although having been fairly recently I won't be going for another few months, if you can wait then I'll happily do the necessary.

Steve

Steve

At your convenience with the visit to TNA.

Now all we still have to do is to confirm that these guns were in fact from Roper's "D" Battery in GSWA and which was composed of volunteers from the Cape Garrison Artillery and RM, RMA and RGA.

Carl

Carl

OK, it's on my list of things to do next time I'm there.

Steve

• 6 months later...
Carl

OK, it's on my list of things to do next time I'm there.

Steve

Hello Steve, please count me in on your list of people that would like copies of the manual if you can dig it up.. I'm happy to contribute to expenses you incur in this.

thanks

Rod

Rod

No problem, when I do eventually get to the archives, consider it done.

Steve

. . . contribute to expenses you incur in this.

Steve

So will I.

Another puzzle.

At least there is a rare view of the underside of the carriage.

Carl