Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Army Nursing Service - Marriage - India 1919

Selena

Does anyone have any idea where a marriage that occurred in Bombay, India in 1919 would be registered?

I am researching an Australian nurse and member of AANS, who married a member of the Scottish Rifles in Bombay.

Selena

As she married a British soldier, it should appear in the GRO overseas marriage index - British Army Marriages. These are available on 'Find my Past' which is pay per view. I don't have access, but some members of the Forum have an unlimited access package, and hopefully will do a look-up for you if you put it in another section. I think you might need to know the name of the husband (hopefully you have that).

Find My Past

Sue

Hi Selena

Would I be able to trouble you for the name of the nurse (her husband & any other details you have on them) as I'm slowly building a database of all our Australian Nurses & Soldiers who married overseas.

Thanks in hope.

Cheers, Frev

Does anyone have any idea where a marriage that occurred in Bombay, India in 1919 would be registered?

I am researching an Australian nurse and member of AANS, who married a member of the Scottish Rifles in Bombay.

Does she have a file at the NAA? If so, it may contain a copy of the marriage certificate, several of them do. Or mention the marriage.

Christine

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. I will follow the leads you have given me.

To Frev, The nurse in question was Mary Margaret Freetag. She married Lieutentant J Morrison In Bombay.

To Christine, yes she does have a file at NAA.

Regards to all.