Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Channel 4

john w.

Tonite there was a prog on Jutland and why the Dreadnoughts fared so badly in thye battle, with divers having a look at some of the High Seas fleet. I taped it but not seen it yet.

A long prog 2hours.. hope its good!

John

Some fantastic underwater film, but to much stuff presented as 'discovery' that are well known - you don't have to dive into the North Sea to discover that German battlecruisers had thicker armour than British battlecruisers.

Great documentary, If you've evwr served in HMForces up until say 1975 youwould recognise a lot of the hierarchel stupidity which led to the demise of these ships and more importantly their sailors.

If you've evwr served in HMForces up until say 1975 youwould recognise a lot of the hierarchel stupidity

How did significant changes come about at that time (1975)?

Excellent discussion of the magazine, handing room, extra charges, charge composition, flash protection issues in both navies in J. Campbell, Jutland An Analysis of the Fighting, 1986, pp. 368 - 378, and it doesn't take two hours to read!

"Jutland, Clash of Dreadnoughts" - so it is a pity that it was not made clear that DEFENCE was an armoured cruiser. No mention of the blowing up of BLACK PRINCE, or the foundering of WARRIOR.

There was no discussion of why Scheer put to sea in search of isolated elements of the Grand Fleet with six Pre-Dreadnoughts to slow him down, nor of how small the ambushed part of the Grand Fleet would have had to have been to be mauled by only sixteen German Dreadnought Battleships. Did he not know that there were twenty-eight British Dreadnought Battleships out there, and likely to be together? Was he aware of the temporary exchange of 3rd BCS for 5th BS? So, presumably he hoped to surprise the BCF. So what use were the 18kt Pre-Dreadnoughts? And anyway even if he did to the BCF what he actually did, he was still in gaol. And how long did it take for the High Seas Fleet to fully repair compared with the Grand Fleet, and who retained the strategic initiative? All rhetorical!

Most interesting to see the INVINCIBLE in the dive sequences - never thought I would when first reading Donald Macintyre's Jutland all those years ago!

Still, it is good to see something about Jutland on the box - draws attention to the battle, and to the fact that there was a war at sea in WW1.

Interesting trying to identify various ships/classes from the fleeting glimpses given. Wish there had been longer pieces of archive film of ships at sea and less reconstruction. But, of course, the former is expensive and the latter less so.

Would like to have heard more from Chris Henry at Explosion - The Museum of Naval Firepower about the charges. (Excellent museum – recommend a visit).

Best wishes,

David

As a life-long 'brown job', with but a working knowledge of matters naval, I found it fascinating. A good choice of interviewees (save the First Sea Lord, for whom I used tov work in his previous job, and all I'll say is that some poor sod must have done a lot of work to brief him, but don't get me started). Even I'd heard of the cordite 'flash-through' theory; and isn't that what is now thought to have been the cause of the loss of 'Hood' 25 years later?

On the whole, thought it was a very commendable effort for the general TV audience, nowhere near as insulting to the intelligence as some efforts...

Most interesting to see the INVINCIBLE in the dive sequences - never thought I would when first reading Donald Macintyre's Jutland all those years ago!

Still, it is good to see something about Jutland on the box - draws attention to the battle, and to the fact that there was a war at sea in WW1. 

This is the first time I can recall having seen an in-depth (no pun intended) feature about Jutland in general and the demise of the Invincible in particular.

Like many others, I have a personal interest in the Invincible: my grandmother's first husband John Pearson, a Leading Stoker aged 30, went down with the ship and his comrades, so I owe my existence to his demise... a sobering thought.