Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yardley Cemetery, Birmingham

1st east yorks

Hello,

While looking for the grave of Harry Hemming(Coldstream Guards) in Yardley cemetery,Birmingham,i was surprised to find lots of ww1 soldiers graves.Although i did not see or record them all,i did take several photos of the Great war graves i came across.I know many of our forum members research different regiments,and thought they may be of interest to some of you .The following list is the regiments/corps these lads belonged too,should any one require any information/photo, pm me, and i can E-Mail the appropriate photos to you.If any member knows of any grave that they require photographing in the Birmingham area,then please let me know and i will do my best to aquire it.

RAMC.

RFC.

Tank Corps.

HMS Royal Oak.

Australian Imperial Force.

South Lancs Reg.

Royal Warwicks Reg x 2.

Hampshire Reg.

Royal Engineers x 2.

Devonshire Reg.

Worcester Reg.

There was also one lad from the Black Watch,but by the time i had decided to take photos,i could not refind this grave(i will go back should anyone require this lad).

Regards,

Anthony.

A year ago I went to Yardley Cemetery to find the CWGC plot and failed. Any help appreciated?

Alan,

I've took a photo of what i believe you were looking for.I will resize it and post it in a bit.

Anthony.

Alan,

This is what i believe you were looking for.

post-28024-1206560053.jpg

It is situated about 50-75 yards in front and to the left of the cross of sacrifice(coming from the Yardley road entrance).

Anthony.

Alan,

Here is a frontal photograph.

post-28024-1206560401.jpg

As in France/Belgium the memorial is well looked after.On the right of the first picture i posted ,you can see that the lawn has been trimmed,but the ground outside the memorial is more unkept.A gardener(contracted no doubt by the CWGC) was attending another memorial whilst i was there,so they are well maitained.

The centre panel commemorates ww2 soldiers,the others are Great war.

Anthony.

Thanks Anthony. I will now pay a visit soon with my camera and armed with your pics.

Alan