Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Handley-Page 0400 Bomber No. 1463

Ralph J. Whitehead

I am currently trying to trim my collection and have several postcards with a British Handley-Page 0400 No. 1463 that is swarming with Germans. The plane looks as if it was undamaged and the nose art is a Greek figure who is running holding a spear and shield.

Can anyone give me an idea how the germans came into possession of this aircraft or anything on the crew, Etc.? Thanks for the help.

Ralph

Ralph

Handley Page O/100 1463, named La Amazon by her crew, set out from England for the RNAS's 5th Wing at Dunkirk just before noon on 1 January 1917. The crew was Flt Lt H C Vereker (pilot) Lt S R Hibbard (observer), Leading Mechanics D Kennedy and Wright, plus Air Mechanic First Class W W Higby. After reaching the continent, and flying for some time over and in unbroken cloud, Flt Lt Vereker landed in the first suitable field he saw after breaking cloud at 500 feet. Unfortunately, the field was the base of Flieger Abteilung (A) 208 at Chalandry, near Laon, and some 12 miles inside German-held territory. The aeroplane, along with extensive documentation, was captured and the crew were made Prisoners of War.

The aeroplane was extensively tested by the Germans, and a story went around that it was even flown by Rittm Manfred von Richthofen, before it crashed at Johannisthal on 22 August 1917.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

Hello Gareth, That is excellent! It is far more than I expected and it does explain why the aircraft is in such great condition. Thanks very much.

Ralph