Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo of RNAS armoured car

Andrew Smith

G'day All,

I urgently need a hi res photo of an RNAS armoured car for an article which is going to appear in a newspaper in Victoria. I will of course credit the photo to the donor. Please email it if you could.

Regards

Andrew.

Andrew, photo of RNAS A. Car - no, but here is an award ;

SMILES Walter D N/E Lt. RNVR 86V006 & 007 Armoured Car Squadron

Field Marshal Lord French 11.08.17 Gazetted

British Armoured Car Sqdns with Russian Armies & in Belgium & France DSO

This officer has served with the cars in France, Belgium, Russia, and Rumania.

He was wounded on the 28th November (1916), Dobrndja. On coming out of hospital he volunteered to lead a flying squadron for special duty round Braila. His gallantry on this occasion was the chief factor of success. When one of his cars got bogged down near the enemy lines, he borrowed an ordinary bicycle and went to the rescue. Later, in action himself with a light armoured car, he got out twice to start it up under heavy fire. Being struck by a bullet, he rolled into a ditch and remained there all day under fire, having sent back a message to the Russian Colonel in command asking him to allow none of his soldiers under any circumstances to risk their lives to save his car. He escaped at night, and concealed his wound from the authorities in order to be permitted more fighting. Both then, and daily afterwards he was in action, launching the cars against the enemy with astonishing success.

The Chief of the Staff of the 6th Russian Army officially stated that the work of the cars under this officer had twice saved the flank of his Army in 48 hours - a statement corrobarated by the General in Command of the 1110th Siberian Division. The gallantry of this officer has since been the subject of a paragraph in the official communique and he is to be recommended for the St. George's Cross.

Regards Sadsac

Here is one of the very first used in Belgium and France 1914. Now I have to acknowledge I don't have any provenance for this photo as I found it on a transitory Russian site and couldn't read any of the accompanying text so if you use it it might want to put the usual disclaimer about requestring any one who thinks they own the CW to speak up or whatever. It is obviously one of Samson's cars and given the age of the photo its likely that any such ownership has long since expired.

post-9885-1206441420.jpg

The caption for Centurian's photo in David Fletcher's War Cars is "Commander Samson's first armoured Rolls-Royce in the Dunkirk shipyard where it was built."

Andrew - SMILES an Aussie - no idea, but will `sniff' further.

Is your interest `Aussie doings' ??? If so will `look' further .

Sadsac

Andrew, here an Aussie & NACS for you ;

GAWLER Geoffrey Noel N/E Lt. RNVR 86V117 N/E

Adjutant General Royal Marines 17.05.18 Gazetted

Naval Armoured Car Sqdn.

Russian Retreat Galicia July / August 1917

Mentioned in Despatches

An Australian Officer and the youngest in the Force.

He has seen service in Persia, Roumania and Russia, and fought excellently with the cars during the retreat.

When his car was lost in action in Galicia he took a rifle and rallied the Russian troops in the trenches for two hours.

Sadsac

Andrew, here an Aussie & NACS for you ;

GAWLER Geoffrey Noel N/E Lt. RNVR 86V117 N/E

Adjutant General Royal Marines 17.05.18 Gazetted

Naval Armoured Car Sqdn.

Russian Retreat Galicia July / August 1917

Mentioned in Despatches

An Australian Officer and the youngest in the Force.

He has seen service in Persia, Roumania and Russia, and fought excellently with the cars during the retreat.

When his car was lost in action in Galicia he took a rifle and rallied the Russian troops in the trenches for two hours.

Sadsac

Thanks mate,

I am digging into the RNAS armoured cars as I want to include th men in my book of Aussies in the RNAS, so if you come across any more I would be in your debt.

The article that will appear hopefully in the Cranbourne Leader next week is on my research and a Cranbourne lad by the name of Percy Teychenne, who ended up in the RNAC and later transferred to the Army Service Corps.

Thanks again

Andrew.

Andrew, not too sure if this chap is `one of yours' but looks like he COULD be OZ, make of it what you will ;

HOWE Thomas E.B N/E Flt.Lt. RNAS 85T335

Cranwell Training Establishment

Commodore R.N.A.S. Training Est. Cranwell 01.05.18 Gazetted

R.N.A.S. Officers - 01.07.17 - 31.12.17 Mentioned in Despatches

He has shown special zeal and great ability in the training and teaching of pilots.

Had previouly served in the Gallipoli campaign with the Australian Army Corps.

Cheers Sadsac

Andrew, not too sure if this chap is `one of yours' but looks like he COULD be OZ, make of it what you will ;

HOWE Thomas E.B N/E Flt.Lt. RNAS 85T335

Cranwell Training Establishment

Commodore R.N.A.S. Training Est. Cranwell 01.05.18 Gazetted

R.N.A.S. Officers - 01.07.17 - 31.12.17 Mentioned in Despatches

He has shown special zeal and great ability in the training and teaching of pilots.

Had previouly served in the Gallipoli campaign with the Australian Army Corps.

Cheers Sadsac

Thanks mate,

He was Air Commodore Thomas Edward Barham Howe, Aide decamp to the King, born in Ireland served with the AIF (12th Btn), suffered GSW to Leg, evacuated to England, joined RNAS 1916, became career officer with RAF post war, served as Aide de Camp to the King between 1934-35, served WW2, passed away 1970.

My definition of an Aussie is, born here, educated here, joined armed forces here, immigrated here a bit loose but I had to define them somehow.

Andrew.