Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seaforth or Black Watch cobbler

Dan Morton

Here's the 1916 2nd Bn. Seaforth Highlander, 10th Brigade, 4th Division, BEF in Mackenzie tartan cobbler

Alternate head – 1st Bn. Black Watch, 1st Brigade, 1st Division, BEF with government (black and green) tartan - it's a model kit designed to be built two ways...casting is next.

• Short Magazine Lee-Enfield (SMLE) MK III 0.303 caliber rifle

• Small canvas haversack for carrying anti-gas PH helmets

• M1914 leather field harness and ammo pouches and belt

• Canvas musette bag and haversacks

• M1902 khaki putties and brown half boots

• M1908 khaki haversacks and entrenching tool helves

• M1908 entrenching tool head in leather carrier and 2 pint water bottle covered with khaki cloth and leather webbing

• Wooden crate, leather cobbler's tool satchel, cobbler's tools

The pink stuff is Super Sculpey just used for displaying things. I've included a "colored" photo of a portion of the original photo of Seaforth Highlander cobblers working in a circle. The original bxw photo was posted on the Great War Forum. The main difference in the photo and the figure is that the cobbler in the photo is wearing shorts, not a kilt. I decided to have the cobbler wear a kilt because I always wanted to try my hand at sculpting one, plus I thought the kit buyer might enjoy painting it more than khaki drab shorts. In this case you can complete the figure with the alternate head and paint the kilt the black and green "Government" tartan or you can use the head shown on the figure and complete the kilt in a Mackenzie plaid.

Comments and constructive critique welcome!

All the best,

Dan

post-4473-1206296497.jpg

post-4473-1206296491.jpg

post-4473-1206296502.jpg

post-4473-1206296509.jpg

post-4473-1206296516.jpg

post-4473-1206296522.jpg

I am in awe of the marvellous detail. Especially in the tools. Just one thing. The kilt would sag under his leg and not follow the shape of his thigh. It is a heavy woolen cloth and would fall down wherever it is not supported.

Well, Tom, what can I say? I can't seem to get everything right. Can we say (amongst friends) that it is being compressed by his knee, maybe? :D

All the best,

Dan

Dan....I just don't know how you do it. I really don't.

Dan,

Great figure, the BW badge requires the East West point of the star pointed, The garter flashes also are not BW, they line from the shinbone outwards, and not on the side of the leg.

Tom

Steven - Thanks very much! Black Jock (Tom) - The BW badge is lined up that way. Probably a bit difficult to tell from the photo. The garter flashes - what can I say? I really didn't know that. Oops. Luckily a sharp X-acto knife and they're gone. Zip. In such a case, I would make new ones out of card stock. I've found that wet card stock can be bent and shaped into all kinds of things. Not as sturdy and versatile as 2 part putty, but much cheaper.

All the best,

Dan

Thanks, Landsturm! Yes, I do have a blog site. It's http://heroesonthewire.blogspot.com/. Thanks for asking! Based on some excellent critique on another web site, I'm re-working one arm a bit and adding a little fold at the back where it meets the wooden crate. Should be finished this weekend.

All the best,

Dan