Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Home Based Battalions

dfaulder

If I want to find out more about the home based battalions (such as 3rd Y&L - part of Tyne Garrison and based I believe at Hylton Camp, Sunderland [sum total of my knowledge]), where do I best start?

TIA

David

The reference I use is "British Regiments 1914-1918" by E.A. James. It describes in very brief detail the movements of all battalions of the various regiments.

3 Y&L was a reserve battalion.

04/08/14 Pontefract

Aug 1914 Cleadon Durham

Jan 1915 Sunderland

Aug 1915 Durham

Feb 1916 Sunderland where it remained (Tyne Garrison)

Hello David,

There may [or not] be something in Jon Cooksey's study of the York and Lancs. You'll be able to find it on Amazon.

Regards,

Peter G

Hi

suggest you have a read of the "Durham Chronicle" or "The North Star" quite a few bits about the 3rd Y&L deserters, & drunks etc on the court pages.

regards

John

Hello David,

There may [or not] be something in Jon Cooksey's study of the York and Lancs. You'll be able to find it on Amazon.

Regards,

Peter G

Peter,

I know of Jon Cooksey's Barnsley Pals (13th & 14th Y&L) which is an absorbing read but very centred on the ORs from Barnsley - and it covers the Pals service in the UK - but unfortunately little mention of other battalions.

Thanks

David

Hi

suggest you have a read of the "Durham Chronicle" or "The North Star" quite a few bits about the 3rd Y&L deserters, & drunks etc on the court pages.

regards

John

Thanks for the suggestion; Do you know the best place to find these - Durham Record Office or are they available online?

Best wishes

David

The reference I use is "British Regiments 1914-1918" by E.A. James. It describes in very brief detail the movements of all battalions of the various regiments.

3 Y&L was a reserve battalion.

04/08/14 Pontefract

Aug 1914 Cleadon Durham

Jan 1915 Sunderland

Aug 1915 Durham

Feb 1916 Sunderland where it remained (Tyne Garrison)

Thanks - that gives me some more detail and as suggested above gives me some suggestions for searching local papers.

David

Hi

Durham City Library is probably easiest you need to book at the County Archives

regards

John