Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canada Trench - Ypres area

Aurel Sercu

I'm asking this on behalf of a Canadian email contact who asked me to find out where "Canada Trench" was in the Ypres area (intending to visit Ypres later this year).

His grandad was KIA on July 10, 1916 ; name on Menin Gate Memorial. He was in the 7th Bn. Canadian Infantry (British Columbia Regt.). His body was brought in the following night and the 2nd Bn. "buried his body in Canada Trench".

I thought finding where Canada Trench was, would be a piece of cake, but that appears to be too optimistic. Nicholson, 'Canadian Expeditionary Force', and the War Diaries of the 7th and 2nd Bn. (Canadian Archives on line) showed where to start, but then : no mention of "Canada Trench" !... And no sign of Canada Trench on the Ypres trench maps either.

The War Diaries of 2nd and 3rd Bn. mentioned "Swan Chateau", "Railway Dug-outs" around that time (south of Ypres), and so I think that if "Canada Trench" existed, it must have been in that area.

There is a "Canada Farm" in the Ypres area (Elverdinge), and a "Canadian Farm", "Canadian Trench" and "Canadian Lane" (Boezinge), but I don't think that they can be related, since they are northwest and north of Ypres, and our "Canada Trench" is supposed to be south of Ypres.

Has any member ever found reference to this Canada Trench ?

So far all my postings in the Forum have had a positive response... I wonder if this tough one ...

Aurel

Hi Aurel,

I found this on the web - "Our AP report: "At point 100 right of CANADA TRENCH wire cut for about 10 yards and further to right in small places - on the left still good."

http://www.piloninternational.ca/internati...rd/edward1.html

Maybe this site has content in it that will enable you to identify the location? There is a map and more info that cross referenced with your own material may help. You will note that the reference is also to July 1916...appears might be near Mount Sorrel?

Regards

Ryan

Hi Aurel

I have a 6th Division map for an attack in April 1916, which as a Canada Trench, near Turco Farm. But were the Canadians in this sector in July 1916 ? they may have taken over area from the 6th Div. during June, I do not have any info. on who relieved the 6th Div. yet.

Here is part of the map which I copied by hand, if it is the right one I could scan the whole of the 6th Div. map and email it to you, email me if you want it.

post-4-1076169400.jpg

Ryan,

Thanks ! I had searched the web myself, but not found that one. And it must indeed be that Canada Trench that is mentioned in your (first) link. For I know that "my" soldier was indeed in the Battle of Mount Sorrel in June 1916.

I have had a look at that map (the same as in Nicholson, C.E.F.), but there is no sign of Canada Trench. However now that I know that Canada Trench is mentioned in the 8th Bn. War diary, this is a confirmation. Now I know that this "buried in Canada Trench" is not an error or something.

As to the links in your second reply : I knew some of them, but these are in France (near Vimy etc.)

Annette,

No, that's not the one I meant. However, your reply is useful, for I found "your" Canada Trench near Turco Farm on one of my own maps (photocopied), but as the lettering was so small and indistinct I had not been able to decipher it.

And I also found two coincidences :

1. That allied Canada Trench on your map (and mine, which is 16/1/17) is not more than 600 meters away from "Canadian Trench", an English named German trench. Bit confusing, isn't it.

2. And the second thing : did you know that that trench on your map, between the "Will" of Willow Trench and the last letters (a and h) of "Canada Trench" is named ... Shropshire Trench ?

Aurel

And the second thing : did you know that that trench on your map, between the "Will" of Willow Trench and the last letters (a and h) of "Canada Trench" is named ... Shropshire Trench ?

Yes Aurel I did know this was named Shropshire Trench after the 1st Batt. who captured it on 21/22 April.

I would not have added my post if I had read the above posts with my eyes open and brain switched on :blink: sorry.

Regards

Annette

Annette,

I take it the trench is the one near Mortedje Estaminet?

A place close to my heart, I took a look up there again last summer. To read the Regimental history's account of the action whilst actually stood there was a sobering experience. Mind you after a late night in the Shell Hole I may have needed a little sobering up...

Andy.

Annette, Andy,

Maybe you are interested in this photo ?

Moorteltje. No idea when. (Certainly after April 1915)

Shropshire Trench was where you see those trees in the background, left.

If you want 3 or 4 more, at different stages of the ruins, contact me off Forum and I will email them.

And now I know what it feels like to hijack someone's thread. For I have just hijacked my own ! :(

Aurel

post-4-1076243439.jpg

Sorry Aurel that you hijacked your own tread - NOT :lol: Thanks for posting photo, I've already emailed about rest.

Andy-That part of the line is also close to my heart, shame that someone is thinking of put a road through the area :angry:

Annette