Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Private - Pay, pensions and home support

Jano

Could anyone please advise me on the following?

. A WW1 private earned a shilling a day - 7/- per week (maths is my strength!)

. The widow of a serviceman under 35 received a pension of 10/- per week; is this right? Did the widow receive more than the soldier had?

. When a soldier was responsible for the upkeep of wife and children at home, how did he do this from his pay? Did he advise an amount of his pay to be deducted and paid to his family? How was this done and how did the family access it?

Did the pension for windows continue for ever (unless remarriage took place?)

.. this started off as one research question, but it spawned the others - sorry! I would really appreciate assistance on this.

Regards, Jano

As a starter, see my article "Bounden duty and service" in journal WFA, "Stand To!" number 68. e-mail me off-site if you have a problem. All your questions can be answered.

Thanks so much! I have in fact emailed you off-site with great thanks for your response and asking how I could get a copy of "Bounden duty etc." as I do not subscribe to Stand To and where I live chancing on a copy would be remote!

As you are doubtless very busy, I'm logging this reply on the site as a.... er....reminder? :rolleyes: Thanks!! Jano

PS If a copy of the article is not a realistic propostion, answers to my questions would be much appreciated.

received!

...with great thanks. The article holds all the information I could ever require, I'm sure. Future attribution promised, with the greatest of pleasure.

Jano