Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13th btn Kings Liverpool Diary

mezzo1972

Downloaded yesterday - I am happy to send a copy to anyone who would like it.

Would really like a copy please - my relative 2nd Lt. Arthur Towers Lunt of the 13th Bn. was wounded on 16th Aug 1916 and died of his wounds the following day.

Best Regards, Roger.

No problem Roger

Send me an email address and I'll send it to you.

Many thanks mezzo - email is - radlunt@btopenworld.com

Best Regards, Roger

On it's way as I type.

Safely received - many thanks.

Kind Regards, Roger

• 4 years later...

Our relative Pte. William Edward Andrew served with the 13th Btn. Kings Liverpool Regt, and was KIA on 14th July 1916.

Any information regarding his likely whereabouts leading up to and on the day of his death would be gratefully received.

I hope this is the correct place to ask - I am new to this forum.

Many thanks.

Morning Cakemaker

The WD does not really give a lot stating "For report on action see War Diary of HQ 9th Infantry Brigade for July 1916"

But here is the WD anyway,

post-10072-0-27591100-1360915657_thumb.j

Regards,

Graeme

Thank you very much for sharing this, Graeme.

It is so moving to see the all place names and the gradual progression towards that fateful day.

We are travelling to the Somme soon, and your information will help us greatly.

Best wishes,

Helen

Helen

Found a bit more for you

William was killed during an attack on Bazentin Ridge.

The attack commenced at 3.25am on the morning of his death with the battalion being immediately met by heavy machine gun and artillery fire.

Fortunately the German wire entanglements had been breached by the British artillery and the enemy front line was taken. The battalion then advanced in a

north westerly direction to the second line and into Bazentin-le-Grand. Although severe casualties had been taken the battalion entered the village and

managed to wrest it from the enemy.

Casualties are recorded as being 8 officers killed, 9 wounded and 1 missing, 117 other ranks killed, 243 wounded and 61 missing.

Enjoy your trip,

Regards,

Graeme

Thank you again, Graeme, this is wonderful help.

Would I be correct in assuming William have been one of the 'missing' - as he is commemorated at Thiepval?

Helen

Hi Helen,

Most probably.

Its not an exact science as he may have been buried and then his grave lost or destroyed, but I think its safe to assume that he took part in the attack and was probably not there at roll call.

Graeme

Thank you Graeme.

I have his war records as available on Ancestry.

I have to go out now, so won't be around for a few hours - such a great start to the day, thank you.

Helen

• 2 months later...

Good evening Graeme,

Since you helped with all this information about the movements of the 13th Kings Liverpool, we were able to make that brief visit the Bazentin area in March. It was really wonderful to be able to see places mentioned.

We are going back there in a couple of weeks with a group of friends, and plan to give a short presentation.

You kindly shared the war diary from July 1st, and we would like to be able to get more information about what they were doing before that - in order to paint a picture of what these men went through in the weeks before going 'over the top'.

We have bought a copy of Edward Hancock's 'Bazentin Ridge'.

Any other help you can give would be most gratefully received.

Regards,

Helen.

Morning Helen,

Really pleased the trip went well. Having visited my grandfather's grave in Italy I know it can be emotional.

The war Diaries are available to download and the 2 you need will cost less than £10. They are

Sept 1915 to March 1916

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C4554573

and

April 1916 to end of war

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details/AssetMain?iaid=C4554580&isFullDescription=False

I also have 'The History of the Kings Regiment' but, at over £40, may be expensive if you are only after a 'few bits',

http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Kings-Regiment-Liverpool-1914-1919/dp/184342360X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367559316&sr=8-1&keywords=history+of+the+kings+regiment

Regards,

Graeme

Dear Graeme,

Thank you very much for this generous help - I am very grateful for the links, as it is such an encouragement to have someone experienced to point the way.

National Archives are a bit hard to fathom for a beginner, I find. Anyway, I have successfully downloaded the two links you shared.

So, hopefully we'll go to Bazentin much better prepared, with an idea of what those chaps experienced in the weeks prior to the attack.

I'll let you know how we get on.

Very best wishes,

Helen