Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mentioned in Despatches

jimmyjames

I am attaching a clipping from the "Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic" published on Saturday 28th december 1918.

It notes that a number of Cheltenham VAD/BRCS workers have been "mentioned in despatches". One lady, Mrs Kitson, (top left) had been mentioned twice.

My question is - was there an official Mentioned in Despatches for the VAD/BRCS in the UK and where would this list be published?

Regards

Jimmy

These will be people "Brought to the Attention of the Secretary of State " or B Mentions. They are not MIDs. I believe a number of lists were publisghed inthe Times newspaper.

Norman

Norman

Many thanks - I'm very grateful.

I've had a look at the on-line Times and there are quite a few of these "B Mentions".

Thanks again.

Jimmy

Don't know what I am doing wrong but I cannot find a straight-forward way of accessing The Times Archive online to find these 'mentions' - can someone direct me to the correct web address please?

Thanks Jimmy - I wonder is it possible to access it from home and just pay per view or the like? I had seen the 'galegroup' website but can't find a way of accessing from home.

• 2 weeks later...

I eventually got access to the UK Times Archive Online but I cannot find any reference to Mary F. S. Letts, or her VAD colleagues Miss Lemass and Miss O'Reilly who all worked in Linden Auxiliary Hospital / Convalescent Homes, Blackrock, Co. Dublin. I have also looked in the Irish Times but cannot find them listed. Would any one know of any other publication which might have listed them? Were these people's names always published? I found very few references to Irish hospitals in the UK Times lists of those 'brought to the notice of ...'.'

Thanks

Bairbre