Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death of Frederick John Ortweiler

john-g

Hi, I am researching the above who was a p.o.w. at one time in Holzminden, after the war he was working for the De Havilland trying to sell aircraft to the Spanish Government unfortunately on 14 February 1922 he was killed near Madrid in a flying accident. Can any one tell me what he was flying and any other in formation about the crash?

Cheers

john-g

Hi John,

You need to contact the Department of Research and Information Services at the RAF Museum, Hendon. They hold his MC and papers (I catalogued them! when I was Senior Archivist back in 1997) under the Reference AC88/7. there are his diaries, some letters and photos too. A very neat little collection.

Hope this helps.

Simon Moody

Hi Simon,

Long time since I heard from you! I visited on Tuesday but did not have time to look through the papers. Looking at the collection it is high on my list of things to have a look at, just wanted a date to fill in a line on a spread sheet.

Are you still at Chelsea?

john_g

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

Yes! I always planned to have a go at editing Ortweiler's writing, as it is such an interesting story. Never got round to it though. Sorting out "Under the Devil'es Eye" for possible paperback at the moment and trying to get our Mespot book out too. Hope all is well.

S