Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Replica Plaques

Rycroft

I sympathise with Rycroft's search for an answer to a dilemma that I wish was more common - how to allow more people to remember more keenly those who died.

I wonder if Rycroft could make do with a good-quality photograph of the original plaque in question. Tastefully mounted together with good copies of the King's Certificate, and all annotated as photographs, these would provide a fitting viual reminder of a serviceman lost.

All the same, and knowing of Croonaert's commitment to the ethics of our shared commitment, I have to admit that I'm very tempted to seek a replica plaque to complete a mounting set for my late uncle. In the setting, however, I would note that it was just that - a replica of the original long since lost.

I must admit that I'd never thougjht of having a miniature group and mini plaque made up as an option for remembering family etc, but I do quite like the idea. I think it is quite a tasteful idea and if the medals are marked as copies would be quite inoffensive to most people.

Alan

Guest KevinEndon

I received two replica plaques today which are to say the least fantastic. I have searched for years for my great uncles plaques without any success, now I can have a very very good replica name raised plaque, mounted with their medals and put on pride of place on the wall.

If you have been searching for your relatives plaques without success and have been after a decent replica then your search is over.

Photos to follow.

Kevin

Guest tafski

Kev

i can agree with you on the plaques got mine today to my great uncle a cameronian scotish rifle kia gallipolli see plaque below am chuffed as have searched for years and like so many others failed so this will do for me

tafski

DSCF0935.jpg

Very Nice gents,

I'd get one but now can just afford to buy food let alone that,

Now I have managed to get my old job back, I dare say I will get one as I haven't the foggiest as to the location of my uncles plaque and medals, his wife recieved them but as he had no children, and his house is now demolished (no chance of an attic find), looks like this is my alternate choice,

if anyone sees his medals give me a shout,

John Evans 53333 11th Cheshire Reg, Could be to his first reg, 61755 2nd Bat Welsh Reg,

Gaz

I think these plaques are great. I don't actually see the need for them to be carrying any specific markings to say they are duplicates. If the weight is much lighter and the plaque has a backing plate, then there is in reality no chance of it being mistaken for a genuine one. It would take a brass neck and a half to try pass it on as the real McCoy.

This type of thing is just what is needed for many families such as mine. A second cousin in Australia has the Memorial Scroll, I have the medals, and neither of us knows where the plaque is. If there wasn't too much month left at the end of the money, then I would be putting in an order for a couple, keeping one and sending the other off to WA. In that case it's fortunate that they don't weigh in at the right weight!

Kev & Bruce, your examples are great and I'm sure they will be as treasured as the originals would be.

Cheers,

Nigel

My only problem with these copy memorial plaques is that those of us that buy a lot off eBay have to work on the description and photograph as to the authenticity of the item. Someone selling a memorial plaques who does not normally handle them may think it an original. A photograph of the item, invariably face on, would not help. I would like to see a letter R placed at the rear legs of the lion where the forge number would normally go. This would take nothing away from the item but would be recognisable as a replacement/copy.

There will always be charlatans who wish to rip off the collector or auction site buyer, but I believe that the differences which have been incorporated into the design of these plaques make most of the fears raised by contributors to this thread redundant.

As I understand it, and I'm always happy to be corrected when wrong, these plaques are made from resin which will feel warm to the touch, whereas the bronze original will feel cold. Any seller, even a novice, or an occasional militaria seller will know the difference and should include the fact in any description of the item. Any buyer willing to pay the kind of money plaques fetch on ebay should be asking questions of the seller to satisfy themselves that they know as much as they can about the item before bidding. If they discover when the postman comes that they have been stung they will need to consult ebay or whoever runs the online auction they bought it from for redress.

Currently though, as Dave (Croonaert) has pointed out, there is a difference in the lettering of the naming which should be obvious to any buyer.

As always with these auction sites, it is very much caveat emptor, but I believe these plaques are made to order and therefore, presumably those who have ordered them will want to keep them. Perhaps if a glut of orders comes in for famous names or for many plaques to be sent to the same address alarm bells will ring with the manufacturers.

Cheers,

Nigel

Out of Interest - how much do these cost - or of the price is vairable depending on the name ? Can anyone who has ordered one of these let me know ?

many thanks

Guest tafski

Currently though, as Dave (Croonaert) has pointed out, there is a difference in the lettering of the naming which should be obvious to any buyer.

As always with these auction sites, it is very much caveat emptor, but I believe these plaques are made to order and therefore, presumably those who have ordered them will want to keep them. Perhaps if a glut of orders comes in for famous names or for many plaques to be sent to the same address alarm bells will ring with the manufacturers.

Cheers,

Nigel

Very true nigel and when i had mine i was assured that plaques for famous names and gallentry awards would not produced by the bucketfull,therefore flooding the market like so many have in the past.i have mine and am very happy could be happier if i had the real deal but alas after years of searching it isnt to be i have great faith in the gentleman that is the source for these plaques

Tafski

I would love to see this chap's plaque;

Léone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudati-filius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache

Although I think his plaque would possibly carry his abbreviated name Captain Leone Sextus Tollemache

Cheers,

Nigel

Guest KevinEndon

It would be the size of a bin lid to get all those names on. SDGW has 2 Featherstonehaugh (longest British surname) Albany Percy and William Samuel. I wonder how they managed to get 30 letters into that small box. It must be the smallest of fonts ever or did they increase the size of the box.

K

It must be the smallest of fonts ever or did they increase the size of the box.

The boxes were uniform, but the lettering (in size and font) weren't....

post-357-1211534815.jpg

He wouldn't have a plaque since he was French Army (although born in Canada):

Charles Eugene Marie Emmanuel Rochereau de la Sabliere

His family were friends of my grandparents, and I have a newspaper clipping from when he returned to Franc to enlist.

Years later my mother dated a relative, Gontrand Rochereau de la Sabliere. Good for me that it didn't work out.

Good idea from Jim Strawbridge!!

:huh:Sprot

Reading through the chat I wonder if there is a facility anywhere to 'trace' lost plaques or medals. Having the originals would be best and I for one would be happy to pay for my relatives medals to be returned

:huh:Sprot

Reading through the chat I wonder if there is a facility anywhere to 'trace' lost plaques or medals. Having the originals would be best and I for one would be happy to pay for my relatives medals to be returned

You could start by looking under this same section "Here is a list of the names on my, etc". There are also a couple of websites that allow you to list your missing medals and plaques. Also Medal News has a section that can be used for the purpose.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my plaque, its great, very pleased with it, just the thing I needed to start my framed memorial project for my Uncle.

post-7438-1214254792.jpg

The photos don't do it justice, my mobile doesn't like taking pictures in low light.

a very happy Gaz