Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals Awarded

Roy Evans

Christopher Warner enlisted 11/12/15 as Private 23852 in the 2nd South Staffordshire Regiment and was discharged from the 7th Norfolk Regiment 12/12/17 as Private 40533 after being wounded. No date of transfer is known, his service record no longer exists.

Can someone explain why his medals would have been inscribed as

'South Staffordshire Reg.' rather than 'Norfolk Reg'?

Normally medals were inscribed with the unit the recipient was in when they arrived in F&F (or other war zone if that was their first posting).

However, I have seen a couple of groups that had the recipient's later unit inscribed, although these may have been later issues.

Roy,

With 1915 Star trios it is common to see the Star named to the original regiment and the pair named to the second unit in which a man served. I do not have any personal knowledge about what the authorities did when a man served in more than two units.

Rob

Roy

I have a BWM / Victory pair named to Pte. W J Wells R. W. Kent R. - his MIC (medal index card) shows that he served in the R.W.K.R. and then transferred to the R.A.M.C. From his service records he served in the 6th Bn., 8th Bn., 10th Bn. R.W.K.R. before transferring to the R.A.M.C. in 1919 because the pay and was better!

I also have a Victory medal named to Frederick H Penny R.W. Kent R. - his MIC shows that he first served with the R.W.K.R., transferred to the Cheshire Regiment and later on has two listings under the R.E.

Each time he picked up a different service number!

And another example, Pte. Frederick Lee R.W. Kent. R. - his MIC shows service in R.W.K.R., Norfolk Regt., and the R.E. twice, again all with a different service number. He was entitled to the 14 star and Bar, but I don't have this so I can't say how it's named but his BWM is to the R.W.Kent. R.

From this it is apparent that the medals appear to be named to the unit that you started with whether you were entitled to the 14 or 14/15 Star - but obviously with there being so many and this example being so small I would also expect other naming of regiments to exist concerning further service.

Hope this helps

Regards

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add my twopennies worth; I'm drawing up a list of MGC honours and awards, and have found many examples of whole trios named to the original unit, even when final service (as indicated on the MIC) shows as MGC. (If anyone has a 14-15 Star named MGC I would be VERY VERY interested in hearing about it!)

Conversely, several instances of gallantry awards carrying the soldier's MGC designation, but his pair named to original unit. I cannot determine a uniform policy.

Just to broaden the issue; I've just transcribed the Territorial Force War Medal roll for the MGC. I wasn't expecting many- there are over 900 on the roll. What cannot be fully determined is how many would have been impressed MGC.

(In the same ledger is a sole TFWM to an officer in the Royal Naval Air Service. The mind boggles!)

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Phil,

Don't know if this helps, but I have seen the 15 Star trio to 636 Pte Fred Mowbray. The 14/15 Star was marked MGC whilst the pair were both marked MMGS.

This struck me as strange at the time as I thought MGC numbers commenced at 3000(?).

Ian :ph34r:

Ian,

Now that's very interesting. I would have expected the star to be named MMGS as well - those I have noted have varied from RFA to MMGS on the Star, with MMGS-RA on the pair. Not sure of the wheres and whyfores of MMGS-RA naming (as the MMGS was folded into the MGC (Motors) in 1917), but trios named MMGS have been around of late.

MMGS numbers started well below 3000 (I have records of MMs to MMGS with 1*** numbers), but I'll seek advice from one better placed than I.

A 14-15 Star named 'MGC' is a very scarce creature, and I hope it's safe!