Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

I've been looking for a single volume history of the war, both as a summer holiday read and for subsequent use as a reference book. I was recommended the recently published (in translation) 'Pandora's Box' by the German historian Jorn Leonhard. I have read (and not just in the blurb) that he is regarded as Germany's current leading expert on the Great War so have bought a copy. At 900 pages of text and 150 pages of notes and bibliography it certainly seems comprehensive. It was published in German in 2014 and this translation was done under the auspices of Harvard which I suppose does suggest some decent academic heft.

I won't be starting it until the end of term but would be interested if any Forum Pals have either read it or could comment on the author's supposed preeminence amongst his fellow German historians.

In the meantime I have recently finished 'The Invisible Cross' by Andrew Davidson. I'd enjoyed his 'Fred's War', so although normally wary of the oft repeated claims of a 'unique' view of life on the Western Front, thought it worth a look. I am so glad I did. The book is the story of the service of Colonel Graham Chaplin of the Cameronians told via his almost daily letters to his wife. He was in the frontline as an officer from August 1914 until promoted out of the trenches in September 1917. The book claims this made him the longest serving front line infantry officer in the war. 

It it is a tremendous and gripping read despite the fact that much of it is of course mundane and/or self censored. But it is the fact that it goes on and on with tour after tour in the front line and the cumulative strain this puts on him that makes it so fascinating. If ever a soldier exemplified the requirement to 'stick it' it is Chaplin. His sheer bloody-minded refusal to give in to the pressures of his position is positively heroic. When he is finally promoted to Brigadier he hardly lasts anytime before being invalided home and the clear impression is that he was by this time completely mentally and physically shot. A terrific book that I heartily recommend

David

A couple of questions if I may Mr R. When you say the Leonhard book is summer holiday reading is that school or airline facilitated holiday? If it is the latter then I'm fairly certain that at 900 pages it will constitute your entire luggage allowance. If you are travelling with an airline that is run by the namesake of the great Irish Guards VC winner on the railway embankment at Cuinchy, you may need to remortgage to pay for it's carriage.

What battalion of the Cameronians did Chaplin serve in? They already have James Jack as a diarist and this sounds v. interesting.

Pete.

Pete

Chaplin was in the 1st Cameronians and so Jack is mentioned on a number of occasions. One of the curious things commented on in the book is that he is such an unknown soldier yet his path crossed with so many well known ones. He fought alongside Sassoon, Graves and Montgomery as well as Jack. I was astonished to realise that he is the officer who Sassoon goes to support with his bombers in the action when he (Sassoon) is shot in the shoulder and his men (according to Frank Richards) are outraged that he did not get the VC.

The Leonhard is definitely an academic holiday read, and as you rightly surmise it will be a physical as well as a mental effort. It is a beautifully produced book but I might need to invest in a lectern. Reading it in bed will require rigorous alertness on the part of my better half, as my penchant for falling asleep when reading would I think risk a broken nose or expensive dental work, or both

David

2 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

risk a broken nose or expensive dental work, or both.......

...and presumably be tricky to explain at A&E. I suspect that there would be a few knowing smiles at triage.......

5 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

Chaplin was in the 1st Cameronians and so Jack is mentioned on a number of occasions.

Interesting, Jack went from the 1st to the 2nd battalion if memory serves (I've lent my copy of his diaries out), and with the 2nd on the afternoon of the 1st July 1916 sent one of my footballers out on a patrol to see who held Ovillers. The answer as we all know was the Germans, who shot Malcolm Fraser through the throat. I have a letter from his commanding officer who I suspect was James Jack describing the incident; it ties up with the diary. Jack also talks about sleeping in La Grand Flamengerie farm at Bois Grenier in the January of 1915, another of my footballers, Wilf Toman was killed just yards away in 1917. Richards describes the sector in early 1915 too, it's the bit with Buffalo Bill trying out carts pulled by dogs. In a third coincidence yet another of my footballers was in the 5th Cameronians who were in the same brigade as the 1st and the 2nd Royal Welsh. James Roy died not far from where Sassoon was wounded, and just a week later.

I'd buy the book but given the existing to read pile is so big that it is causing gravitational lensing to take place it may not be safe......

Pete.

P.S. Ali sends hugz to you and Mrs R.

Although I understand your reluctance to add to the unread pile of books, I do think this is worth the additional risk to the foundations of Owl Towers. It is also a very tempting £8.94 for the handsome hardback edition on Amazon at the moment

I have just finished (in 24 hours as almost unputdownable), "Temporary Heroes" by Lieutenant Norman Cecil Down, edited and with an introduction by Richard van Emden. It consists of a series of letters from Down to his fiancée in which he lays emphasis on the lighter and more ridiculous aspects of the war. Very entertaining and even laugh out loud in places. Recommended.

I am now into something a lot more heavyweight, Peter Doyle's "Disputed Earth", about the effect of geology on the trench warfare of the Western Front. I bought it on the influence of Peter's talk on the subject at the last Forum conference, and though some of it may be a bit technical for me the text is clear and there are lots of pictures and diagrams. Seriously, though, I think I will learn a lot from it.

Cheers Martin B

5 hours ago, Martin Bennitt said:

I have just finished (in 24 hours as almost unputdownable), "Temporary Heroes" by Lieutenant Norman Cecil Down, edited and with an introduction by Richard van Emden. It consists of a series of letters from Down to his fiancée in which he lays emphasis on the lighter and more ridiculous aspects of the war. Very entertaining and even laugh out loud in places. Recommended.

Available online in the original 1917 edition, with author Cecil Sommers [Norman Cecil Sommers Down] 

https://archive.org/details/temporaryheroes00somm

Cheers

Maureen

5 minutes ago, Maureene said:

Available online in the original 1917 edition, with author Cecil Sommers [Norman Cecil Sommers Down] 

https://archive.org/details/temporaryheroes00somm

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks Maureen, if I buy any more books and put them on the to read pile an event horizon might develop........

Pete

19 hours ago, David Ridgus said:

I've been looking for a single volume history of the war, both as a summer holiday read and for subsequent use as a reference book. I was recommended the recently published (in translation) 'Pandora's Box' by the German historian Jorn Leonhard. I have read (and not just in the blurb) that he is regarded as Germany's current leading expert on the Great War so have bought a copy. At 900 pages of text and 150 pages of notes and bibliography it certainly seems comprehensive. It was published in German in 2014 and this translation was done under the auspices of Harvard which I suppose does suggest some decent academic heft.

I won't be starting it until the end of term but would be interested if any Forum Pals have either read it or could comment on the author's supposed preeminence amongst his fellow German historians.

In the meantime I have recently finished 'The Invisible Cross' by Andrew Davidson. I'd enjoyed his 'Fred's War', so although normally wary of the oft repeated claims of a 'unique' view of life on the Western Front, thought it worth a look. I am so glad I did. The book is the story of the service of Colonel Graham Chaplin of the Cameronians told via his almost daily letters to his wife. He was in the frontline as an officer from August 1914 until promoted out of the trenches in September 1917. The book claims this made him the longest serving front line infantry officer in the war. 

It it is a tremendous and gripping read despite the fact that much of it is of course mundane and/or self censored. But it is the fact that it goes on and on with tour after tour in the front line and the cumulative strain this puts on him that makes it so fascinating. If ever a soldier exemplified the requirement to 'stick it' it is Chaplin. His sheer bloody-minded refusal to give in to the pressures of his position is positively heroic. When he is finally promoted to Brigadier he hardly lasts anytime before being invalided home and the clear impression is that he was by this time completely mentally and physically shot. A terrific book that I heartily recommend

David

Currently available from 'The Works', as a paperback for a very reasonable £3.99.

Recommended!

Mike.

Hi everyone,

Problme with the new website... not likes by our firewall, so i either have to wait for 2200hr Bamako time before signing in or go through a very interesting little thing a friend installed... 

anyway, I'm out of here and back to civilisation in 5 days... 

Finished up with Cobb's Fromelles just a week ago and started on Michael Walsh's "Brothers in war"... thanks Black Maria for the tip!! 

Next up is Edward Roe's "diary of an old contemptible"... I guess that'll take me through the 3 day C-130 trip Brussels planned for us to get back home... 

Marilyne

About to start Gary Sheffield's Command and Morale : The British Army on the Western Front 1914-1918.

Chris

On 21/05/2018 at 14:55, Fattyowls said:

Thanks Maureen, if I buy any more books and put them on the to read pile an event horizon might develop........

Pete

You could try and build a tent out of them... Might be funny too... 

Ive just finished “Pioneer Battalions in the Great War” by K.W. Mitchinson,  fantastic insight into what seems to me a under appreciated and difficult role.

mark h

Edited by Marks13
Typo

Was lucky to pick up a couple of books yesterday that have been on my 'must read' list

'Old Soldiers Never Die' by Frank Richards, N & M.P. reprint undated but in mint condition

and 'Her Privates We' by Frederick Manning, unexpurgated version paperback dated 2013.  £1.00 each.

Does anyone know which Battalion of the K.S.L.I. Manning served in?

Mike.

The 7th, according to the font of all knowledge (Wikipedia), Mikey.

52 minutes ago, Perth Digger said:

The 7th, according to the font of all knowledge (Wikipedia), Mikey.

P.D.

Very many thanks.  Same battalion as my great uncle Dennis, Frederick Manning may have known him........

Looking forward to reading the book.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

• 1 month later...

I have just completed To Win a War: 1918, The Year of Victory by John Terraine. I think it provides a nice overview of the final year, but there are a lot of bold statements made without further explanation.

Having now read at least one book on each year of the war, I can start doubling up and read books with a more narrow focus. I don’t know if I want to read The Reconongraphers: Intelligence and Reconnaissance in British Tank Operations on the Western Front, 1916-1918 by Colin Hardy or Beaten Down by Blood: The Battle of Mont St. Quentin-Perrone, 1918 by Michele Bomford next. 

I have just finished Antiques Roadshow WW1 in 100 Family Treasures by Paul Atterbury.  Not exactly the sort of thing I would have bought but it was a present.  I found it interesting for short periods of time, sitting in waiting rooms, putting in time for short periods etc.  The problem was I wanted to know more about the people involved, for instance a Merchant Service Sailor Torpedoed Three times and Saved by his Canary, A Poacher Turned Gamekeeper from German Infantry to British Medical Officer, A Sapper Who Used his Violin as a War Diary.  Most stories were mainly 2-4 pages long but interesting for light reading.

Anne

3 hours ago, Anneca said:

I have just finished Antiques Roadshow WW1 in 100 Family Treasures by Paul Atterbury. 

Anne, I've delved into the book in a similar way and I know what you mean. I have an interest as Sam Wolstenholme, who I think is covered in the section on the Ruhleben Cup was a former Everton player (as were three of his fellow internees, and my great uncle Herbert). I assume you have come across the secrets of Egbert's granddad's trunk which is on the page opposite the titles.

Pete.

“Reatreat And Rearguard “ by Jerry Murland. I am enjoying this book although it probably has more detail than I need.

Hazel C

Liddell Hart's Western Front, Impressions of the Battle of the Somme.

21 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Anne, I've delved into the book in a similar way and I know what you mean. I have an interest as Sam Wolstenholme, who I think is covered in the section on the Ruhleben Cup was a former Everton player (as were three of his fellow internees, and my great uncle Herbert). I assume you have come across the secrets of Egbert's granddad's trunk which is on the page opposite the titles.

Pete.

Anne and Pete

It's obviously a popular present this year as my daughter gave me a copy for my birthday this month! I've enjoyed dipping in to it . Understand what you mean about the episodic nature of the book but I think that is inevitable and I presume they were trying to capture the vibe of the programme in book form (shorn, thankfully, of the badly concealed naked greed of the punters)

David

Another birthday present was a set of 3 comic novels set in the Great War, called collectively The Bandy Papers. They come with, for a comic novel, surely the puff of all puffs on the front cover 'I enjoyed every word...terrifically funny' P.G.Wodehouse. They were written in the 60s and 70s and the humour is very black. The 'hero' is Bartholomew Bandy an emotionally stunted Canadian who arrives in France  and after a harrowing introduction to trench warfare transfers to the RFC. Here to everyone's astonishment he turns out to be a fantastic and ruthless pilot who soon becomes a decorated ace. The descriptions of first Bandy learning to fly and then of some of his aerial combats are really gripping with the author using his character's curiously detached attitude to really good effect. The comic episodes revolve around his inept attempts at social interaction particularly with his girlfriend/fiancee the long suffering Katherine.

I'm halfway through the second volume and have enjoyed them more than I thought I would. Definitely a curiosity amongst Great War fiction that I've come across

David

Edited by David Ridgus

I read The Bandy Papers, well, it must be around 40 years ago.  I still think they are brilliant novels and Bart is a wonderful creation. You may be interested to know that there are furthers volumes in The Bandy Papers, eight in total, so far.  I was recently lucky enough to buy the first three plus two further volumes, Me Too and Hitler vs Me, both of which concern the Second World War, so slightly off topic here.  I'm still looking for the others.

Thank you. The blurb in my copy says that a ninth volume Stalin versus Me was published posthumously in 2009. Bandy in the Cold War?

David