Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

I recently finished Ghosts on the Somme by Fraser, Robertshaw, and Roberts. I actually enjoyed reading about the shots of men behind the lines more than the Beaumont-Hamel part. Someone posted a book about logistics a few days ago, so I will have to track that down.

I’m now reading Forgotten Victory by Gary Sheffield. I’m about halfway through the book and it’s already up there Holmes’ Tommy as my favorite book. 

Two of the books I enjoyed a lot this year were Moments of Memory by Herbert Asquith and Paint and Prejudice by CRW Nevinson. Nevinson I rather warmed to as he is a classic miserable sod, combining elements of Basil Fawlty, Marvin the Paranoid Android etc. Everything is everyone else’s fault and he can’t seem to get over the merest slight. 

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 17:33, nigelcave said:

It is at the setting stage - I expect the proof this coming week. I only hope that you will find it worth the very, very long wait!

Next the Index if all has gone reasonably well and from there maybe two weeks to get it printed.

On the subject of delayed publishing I notice that ' Directing the Tunnellers' War : the tunnelling memoir of Captain H Dixon M.C  R.E '

has been put back again until the end of February next year . Although disappointed , I content myself with the thought that it looks

like one of those books that's worth waiting for.

Edited by Black Maria

Hmm: yes, it was/is a setting issue. Fortunately I was able to take advantage of the reprieve and make a rather more convincing stab at the appendix for the biographies of those mentioned in the text. It is one of those 'cheery' memoirs, written by Dixon some years after the war when he was abroad, possibly China. However, it does give a good flavour and is an unusual insight into that much criticised organisation, GHQ, at Montreuil: it was that aspect (and, indeed, what TCs got up to during the German spring offensives) that made us think it was worthwhile getting it into print.

21 hours ago, Captain RHW said:

That book looks great, I don't suppose there's going to be a translation? 

I don't think so... this is really a FRENCH thing, for the French, by the French...

17 hours ago, DoughboyFighter said:

ISomeone posted a book about logistics a few days ago, so I will have to track that down.

you mean this one:

291226708_6196XvXZnqL__SX331_BO1204203200_.jpg.6b7404e87410e2fd35a95dbff6ffa47a.jpg

it's on my Christlmas list...

I need to find a way to come to terms with my list and then start reading everything I can find about nurses and workers on the front for my photo/visit project...

M.

2 hours ago, nigelcave said:

Hmm: yes, it was/is a setting issue. Fortunately I was able to take advantage of the reprieve and make a rather more convincing stab at the appendix for the biographies of those mentioned in the text. It is one of those 'cheery' memoirs, written by Dixon some years after the war when he was abroad, possibly China. However, it does give a good flavour and is an unusual insight into that much criticised organisation, GHQ, at Montreuil: it was that aspect (and, indeed, what TCs got up to during the German spring offensives) that made us think it was worthwhile getting it into print.

Thanks for that information , I look forward to reading it.

3 hours ago, nigelcave said:

I’ve just put a copy of Sir Frank Fox’s book on life at GHQ Montreuil on the Rare Book thread.

I am reading Peter Hart's 1918.  Finding it a very easy read but very interesting

Sue

25 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

Not a review but had an email this morning from Naval and Military Press who are heavily discounting many WW1 books this weekend.

https://www.naval-military-press.com/product-category/the-great-war/

Ken

I do wish they wouldn't do that, it always ends up costing me money!

17 hours ago, 593jones said:

I do wish they wouldn't do that, it always ends up costing me money!

Quite, and the bookshelf really is in danger of total collapse these days ... 

1 hour ago, kenf48 said:

I know but I thought I'd share the pain :rolleyes:

Order ins fro the South Wales Borderers at Gallipoli (being restrained)

Ken

I purchased the Borderers’ book months ago, but I never got around to reading it, because I’ve never read a general book on Gallipoli. I need to pry myself away from the Western Front. :wacko:

• Admin
45 minutes ago, DoughboyFighter said:

I purchased the Borderers’ book months ago, but I never got around to reading it, because I’ve never read a general book on Gallipoli. I need to pry myself away from the Western Front. :wacko:

Yes,  there’s a whole world (war) out there!

Peter Hart did his usual good job with his ‘Gallipoli’ and Alan Moorehead’s account although first  published in the 1950s sets the standard, succinct and very readable.  It has to be acknowledged more recent authors such as Carylon have the benefit of greater research but I struggled with his book and found it heavy going.  I ordered the SWB book as my maternal grandfather was there with the 2 nd Bn.

Ken  

Edited by kenf48

Just now, kenf48 said:

Yes,  there’s a whole world (war) out there!

Peter Hart did his usual good job with his ‘Gallipoli’ and Alan Moorehead’s account although first  published in the 1950s sets the standard, succinct and very readable.  It has to be acknowledged more recent authors such as Carylon have the benefit of greater research but I struggled with his book and found it heavy going.

Ken  

I have the Hart & Steel book on Gallipoli and recently purchased Gallipoli: A Ridge too Far, edited by Ashley Ekins (published by AWM), which is a collection of chapters by different authors on the campaign. I have learned a bit from goosegirdle’s excellent podcast, though. 

Im surprised no one has mentioned "the welsh at war" three different booksSteven John,very very well researched took him ten years even been proof read by a WELL KNOW GWF member who should have been sorting out his own book(no names no pack drill):whistle:

:poppy:

8 minutes ago, BIFFO said:

Im surprised no one has mentioned "the welsh at war" three different booksSteven John,very very well researched took him ten years even been proof read by a WELL KNOW GWF member who should have been sorting out his own book(no names no pack drill):whistle:

:poppy:

Missed 

Welsh Yeomanry  at war. 

Four books.

well theres always one AND your both of them,I only have the four ,when your read little gems of info can be found i.e where regiments sailed from on board named ship.

in fact I think its five,hes a really good bloke as well 

started The other side of the wire Volume 2 by Ralph last night. Volume 3 is on the never ending pile of books to read as well. Looking forward to reading this. Looks like a great work Ralph.

Andy

I’ve been reading Battle Tactics of the Western Front by Paddy Griffith. I was taken by surprise when I read in the preface that he only consulted a limited number of sources and was not an expert in First World War history. His discussion of tactical situations is interesting, as I was looking for a book on the tactical level, but his constant references to chateau generals is a distraction. I plan on finishing the book, but it’s been disappointing so far. 

Can anyone recommend a book that covers the French contribution in WW1 - preferably a strategic view covering start to finish which comments on the interface with Allied forces?

Pyrrhic Victory by Robert Doughty is usually mentioned, though I confess I've never read it.

3 hours ago, crickhollow said:

Can anyone recommend a book that covers the French contribution in WW1 - preferably a strategic view covering start to finish which comments on the interface with Allied forces?

I’ve read good things about Elizabeth Greenhalgh’s The French Army and the First World War, but I haven’t read it. It’s surprising how little has been written in English on the French. If you can’t find a comprehensive book, I thought Holger Herwig did a good job explaining French strategy from the outbreak through the Marne. He’s a German historian, but it’s a very comprehensive view of the opening campaigns.

Edited by DoughboyFighter

I would second Paul's suggestion of the Doughty book, it's very comprehensive and detailed but not a page turner. Clayton's 'Paths of Glory' is a shorter easier overview but I seem to remember finding it didn't go far enough.

Pete.