Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corporal Albert George Wright 1st/1st Bucks WW!

stakar12

Hi

This is my first post so am unsure of exactly what I am doing but, here goes.

I am looking for any information about my great uncle Corporal Albert George Wright.

I have his medal card, casualty details from cwgc and findmypast. I also have his inscription from his headstone at St Mary's Churchyard Slough.

He served as Private 2366 and Corporal 265695 with the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry 1/1st Bucks Battalion. He won the Victory Medal and British War Medal and the 1915 Star. He landed in France on the 30th March 1915.

He was killed in action on the 16th of April 1917 at Tambois farm, France.

I believe his brother Herbert (Bert) Wright also was killed in WW1 but, at this point have not come across anything to steer me in the right direction.

Being in Australia my resources are limited so any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

welcome

AGW enlisted Aylesbury and lived in Slough, Bucks

Hello Stakar 12,

You will note from the CWGC info that he is comemorated on the Thiepval Memorial in France? That means unfortunately he has no known grave. His 'headstone' in Slough will either be a further, local, memorial to him, or perhaps an inscription on a relative's grave.

Regarding Herbert, there are of course many Herbert Wright casualties, so you will need a little more info on him, such as other names/intials to help narrow it down.

Maybe a pal on here can do a 'Soldiers Died' look-up based on Slough as a place of residence? (Or wherever he came from, or lived at).

Have a look at The Long Long Trail linked at the top of the page. It will give you some tips on research, and also a little about what the 1/1 Oxs & Bucks were upto on the day Albert was killed.

Ian

I did a quick look as going out and couldnt see one

Here is the page on the Long, Long Trail relating to the O&BLI:

http://www.1914-1918.net/oxbucks.htm

The 1/1st Buckinghamshire Battalion were in 145th Brigade of 48th Division. Albert went to France with the original contingent of the battalion. His 4-digit number would suggest that he enlisted at the outbreak on war.

http://www.1914-1918.net/48div.htm

Steve.

Hi ,

Below is an extract from the "First Buckinghamshire Battalion 1914-1919" by Captain P L Wright regarding the Tombois Farm action.

On April 15 (1917) the Battalion took over the line again, receiving orders at the same time that we were to attack Tombois Farm on the following night.

This farm lay on the southern side of the Lempire-Vendhuille Road, midway between the two villages, and about 1,000 yards from our nearest sentry post. At dusk on April 16, A Company (Captain N. S. Reid, D.S.O., M.C.) took over the whole of the Battalion outpost line, relieving B and C Companies for the attack. On our right, the 1/4th Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment were to capture Gillemont Farm, and on our left, the 1/5th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment were to attack Catelet Copse and Le Petit Priel Farm.

C Company (Captain J. B. Hales) had orders to form up just west of Sart Farm, and to direct their attack south and south-east of Tombois.

B Company (Lieutenant M. Bowen) were to form up on the northern side of the Lempire-Vendhuille Road, clear of Lempire, and to deliver their attack on the west and north of the farm; D Company (Captain R. Gregson-Ellis) to proceed in echelon behind C Company, occupying the trench in front of the farm, until satisfied that the leading companies had attained their objectives, when they were to go through and capture a small ridge lying some 200 yards beyond the farm.

Zero was fixed for 11.30 p.m., April 16.

The weather conditions could not conceivably have been more unfavourable for a night attack, over open country, with few landmarks. It was pitch-dark, with pouring rain, and a gale blowing in the direction of the enemy. That the attacking companies were able to find their forming-up position in such darkness was a creditable performance; that they should have kept direction and struck Tombois speaks very highly for their leaders.

At 11.45 p.m. the enemy opened with machine-gun and rifle fire, and sent up a great number of lights from the farm and the trenches on either side of it. They also put down a moderate barrage well behind our attack, mostly on the outskirts of Lempire and on Sart Farm. All companies encountered a thick belt of wire in front of the enemy positions, which were strongly held, C and D Companies both being held up by this wire, which it was impossible to negotiate in face of the heavy enemy fire. All D Company’s officers had become casualties, and at 12.30 a.m. Captain Hales decided to withdraw both companies to Sart Farm, and reform them there for another attack.

Meanwhile B Company, on the left, had attracted rather less rifle and machine-gun fire than the other two companies, and had succeeded in getting through a thinner belt of wire and penetrating the enemy trenches at a point just north of where the trench crossed the road.

In consequence of the failure of the two right companies, and in view of the fact that at that time no news had been received at Battalion Headquarters of the success of B Company’s attack, three platoons of the support company (1/5th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment) were ordered to advance on the farm, one platoon each side of the road and one in close support, in order to ascertain the situation as regards B Company and, if necessary, to attack. They arrived at the farm to find B Company in possession, but the enemy still holding out in the orchard south of the farm. Our men were finding considerable difficulty in clearing the orchard owing to the fire of the other two companies who had been held up.

By 3 a.m., however, both farm and orchard were clear, and a counter-attack, launched by the enemy down the road, was successfully broken up by B Company. C and D Companies, who had now reorganised, were at once sent up to help in the work of consolidation, and trenches were dug west of the road and north and east of the farm, Major A. B. Lloyd-Baker going forward to organise this work.

News was received that the 1/4th Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment and 1/5th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment had both failed to reach their objectives, on account of wire and heavy enemy fire.

At daylight on April 17, the Battalion was holding three or four hundred yards of trench on either side of the farm, with no sign of the enemy. Strong patrols were sent out to right and left, with orders to occupy every position possible, and by 7.30 a.m. one of these patrols, consisting of a platoon of Gloucesters, succeeded in entering Le Petit Priel Farm with little or no opposition. Another patrol from A Company (holding the old line), which had been sent forward to ascertain the left of our new line, found Catelet Copse unoccupied. This they reported to the nearest picquet of the Warwicks, who moved up and occupied it.

It would seem that at dawn the enemy, realising that he bad lost Tombois, had decided to withdraw from the objectives which the battalion on our left had fought hard all that night to gain.

At least thirty dead Germans were found in and around the farm, and our captures were nine prisoners with one machine gun. Our casualties were:

Officers.

Wounded.

Capt. R. Gregson-Ellis (died following day).

2/Lieut. J. Jack.

2/Lieut. N. S. Flint.

2/Lieut. B. C. C. Olivier.

2/Lieut. R. F. Chatham.

Other ranks.

Killed—18

Wounded—48

The strengths of the attacking companies had been:

B Company—4 officers and 136 other ranks.

C Company—3 officers and 125 other ranks.

D Company—4 officers and 134 other ranks.

The following message was received from the Army Commander, General Sir H. Rawlinson:

“Please convey to 48th Division my admiration of their success last night. To have carried out a successful attack, on a wide front, in the midst of such a storm, reflects the highest credit on all ranks and especially on the leadership of subordinate commanders. My best congratulations and thanks to all troops engaged.”

Tombois Farm, and the road running from the farm to Lempire, were shelled throughout the day, making our occupation of the new position and communication with the rear most unpleasant; but relief, in the shape of the 1/5th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment, arrived that evening, and we tramped back, very wet and weary, to a camp in the neighbourhood of St. Emilie, only to be moved again two days later to huts and billets in Villers-Faucon.

I hope you may find it of interest.

I visited the area of the action a couple of years ago and have some photos somewhere, I'll try and look them out.

The 1/st Buckinghamshire Battalion is a pet interset of mine (as you may be able to detemine from my avatar) as my GGF served with the battalion and I served with its more recent (1980/90s) equivelant.

Steve

Hi,

Below are the Operation Orders for the attack extracted from the same source:-

APPENDIX 1

OPERATION ORDERS

A

TOMBOIS FARM

April 1917

1. 48th Division will continue its advance to-night. Bucks Battalion will capture Tombois Farm, with a second objective the ridge due E. of the farm. 4th R. Berks Regiment will capture Gillemont Farm. 143rd Infantry Brigade will capture Catalet Copse and Le Petit Priel Farm.

2. Zero hour—11.30 p.m.

Zero hour for 143rd Infantry Brigade will be—10 p.m.

3. Bucks Battalion will attack with three Companies,— C Company right, B Company left,

D Company will be in echelon behind C Company, and will go through to second objective.

A Company will take over outpost line as early as possible after dusk.

One Company 1/5th Gloucester Regiment, with half-section machine-gun company, will be in support about F.16.b.1.9.

4. Formation.—Attacking companies will be deployed (by zero -30 minutes) on a two-platoon frontage

of 150 yards, each platoon in two lines, 25 yards’ distance between lines.

Each of the attacking companies will have one Bombing Section equipped as such.

5. Forming-up positions:

Right Company . . . W. of Sart Farm.

Left Company . . . About F.10.d.5.7.

Third Company . . . About F.16.b.7.6:

6. Objectives

a Right Company will direct its attack S. and E. of Tombois Farm.

b Left Company on W. and N. of Tombois Farm.

Each of the above companies will arrange to leave one section at point where its outer flank

crosses enemy trench, to protect its flank against possible counter-attack up trench.

c Third Company will follow Right Company, and occupy enemy trench F.11.b.3.1. to F.11.d.5.9.,

and remain on line until satisfied that leading companies have attained their objectives, retaining

its formation (i.e. rear lines not closing up), when it will go through and occupy ridge E. of

Tombois Farm, approximately E. of road running N. and S. through F.12.a.

7.Consolidation:

a. Right Company, on attaining its objective, will establish itself from road F.11.b.3.5. (exclusive) to F.12.c., with support about trench F.11.c.0.5.

b. Left Company will establish itself from road F.11.b.3.5. (inclusive) to F.3.c., gaining touch with

143rd Brigade (1/5th R. Warwick Regiment), with support about F.10.b.

c. Third Company will establish itself on ridge, extending S. to gain touch with 1/4th R. Berks

Regiment, in F.12.c., with support dug in on our side of slope.

8. Artillery Barrage as communicated to companies this afternoon.

9. Attacking companies will carry S.O.S. signal lights, Very lights and pistols, aeroplane flares.

Every man will carry one extra bandolier S.A.A. All available wire-cutters will also be taken

forward.

10.Dump for S.A.A. will be formed about road junction in F.15.b., under Regimental Sergeant-Major.

11.Dump of Tools will be formed at road junction F.16.a.9.7. Support Company will be prepared to

take these forward without delay.

12.Dividing Line between the Battalion and 1/4th R. Berks Regiment, during attack and after capture of

objectives, will be line F.17.c.0.0.—A.7.b.0.0.

13.Covering Parties will be pushed forward during the work of consolidation.

14.Countersign to be made known to all concerned. This has been communicated to 143rd Infantry

Brigade.

15.One section Royal Engineers and one platoon R. Sussex Regiment will be available to help with

work of consolidation.

16.Contact Aeroplane will fly over at about 6.30 a.m., or, if misty, one hour after mist lifts. Advanced

troops will be careful to answer the call for flares.

17.Battalion Headquarters—F.15.d.9.7. (present C Company Headquarters).

18.Report Centre—F.16.a.9.8.

19.Dressing Station—F.15.b.4.0.

(Sd.) P. L. WRIGHT,

Captain and Adjutant, 1st Bucks Battalion.

Copies to:

1—4 Companies.

5 Support Company.

6—7 Battalion Headquarters.

8 1/5th Gloucester Regiment.

9 File.

10—11 War diary.

Secret. 0.0.25., Copy 6.

Regards

Steve

THANKS IAN,

YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THE HEADSTONE IN SLOUGH. HE IS BURIED WITH HIS MOTHER SARAH WRIGHT.

HERBERT IS A MYSTERY AND HAVE NO FAMILY LEFT TO ASK BUT, DO HAVE A COUPLE OF CLUES. HE WAS KNOWN AS BERT, I THINK HIS MIDDLE NAME IS HATIPHA (ACCORDING TO CENSUS RECORDS), HIS PARENTS WERE SARAH AND HATIPHA WRIGHT, HE WAS BORN IN APPROX 1888, THEY LIVED MOST OF THERE LIVES IN SLOUGH, AND I AM TOLD HE WAS ALSO KILLED IN ACTION.

ANY INFORMATION IS APPRECIATED, AS I AM FINDING THIS HOBBY VERY ADDICTIVE.

STEVE

THANKS SO MUCH. WOULD APPRECIATE ANY THING YOU MAY HAVE TO OFFER. IF YOU NEED ANY AUSSIE LOOK UPS LET ME KNOW AND I CAN LOOK INTO IT

THANKS IAN,

YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THE HEADSTONE IN SLOUGH. HE IS BURIED WITH HIS MOTHER SARAH WRIGHT.

HERBERT IS A MYSTERY AND HAVE NO FAMILY LEFT TO ASK BUT, DO HAVE A COUPLE OF CLUES. HE WAS KNOWN AS BERT, I THINK HIS MIDDLE NAME IS HATIPHA (ACCORDING TO CENSUS RECORDS), HIS PARENTS WERE SARAH AND HATIPHA WRIGHT, HE WAS BORN IN APPROX 1888, THEY LIVED MOST OF THERE LIVES IN SLOUGH, AND I AM TOLD HE WAS ALSO KILLED IN ACTION.

ANY INFORMATION IS APPRECIATED, AS I AM FINDING THIS HOBBY VERY ADDICTIVE.

From Free Births Marriages and Deaths:

Births Sep 1888

-----------------------------------------------------

WRIGHT Herbert Hatipha Newport P 3a 697

This means the September 'quarter' of 1888 - during Sept-Nov. The numbers are the

volume and page numbers of his entry in the birth register.

++

1901 census:

looks like your Herbert

Herbert Wright 12 Bucks Newport Pagnell Beaconsfield Bucks Juvenile

probably the father:

Hatipha Wright 36 Bucks Newport Pagnell Beaconsfield Bucks Police Constable

probably Albert:

Albert Wright 10 Bucks Newport Pagnell Beaconsfield Bucks Juvenile

++

Just to correct the comment - 'he is buried' - it is sadly just a commemoration, as he has no known grave.

Maybe another Soldiers Died look-up would be worthwhile for Herbert, based on his not being born at Slough but Newport Pagnell?

Also might be worth a check in the death certificates on Ancestry for the overseas section. If it mentions his middle name you might get his regimental number, etc.

I could not identify him on CWGC or the MICs since there are too many Herbert Wrights and no mention of his middle name.

Ian

Hi Stakar12,

Thank you for your kind offer.

I am pleased to help all I can with regards to the Bucks Battalion although I fear I may not be able to help much with individual soldiers at this time, but any information on the Battalion in general just ask away.

The only thing I can add at the moment is that in the 8 company organisation that the battalion had before mobilisation the SLOUGH Company was Letter E Company, which when the 4 company organisation was adopted joined with Letter F (WOLVERTON) Company to form Letter C Company so there is a good chance that Albert served in this company.

Hope this is useful.

Regards

Steve

Might prove a red herring, but Find My Past has a listing under the National Roll as follows:

Name Initials Area Action

WRIGHT HH III - London: (West, Central & North London) VIEW

Probably not him - this one was serving with RE in China when war broke out - came back to Britain in 1917 and joined RFC as an air mechanic - demobilised Jan 1920 but rejoined RE same year and states still serving. Lived off the Kings Road SW3

Cheers

Sue

Sue,

OK - guess we can rule that one out! Thanks your help.

That said, we are not entirely sure 'our' Herbert Wright was actually a casualty?

Ian

I think this could be the MIC entry in Ancestry for the HH Wright in the National Roll -

H H Wright

Royal Engineers, Sapper 17003

Royal Air Force, 121303

Royal Engineers A/NO186002

but no clue to his names still - only the initials

Also - probably doesn't help in finding Herbert - but Hatipha Wright (the father) has such an unusual name - Stakar 12 - (sorry to be so formal!!) do you know when Sarah died - and did he remarry??

A Hatipha Wight of a very similar age (58) travelled to Quebec on the "Letitia" from Liverpool - left 24th April 1925 with wife Margaret (38) 2 year old Christopher Wright - and another child - 8 year old Leslie Humphries. An address in Vancouver is shown - and the Worldwide version of Ancestry (that I don't have unfortunately) shows the death of a Hatipha Wright in the British Columbia death indexes in 1936

I did check the Canadian Attestation papers to see if maybe Herbert had gone to Canada before the war and enlisted there - but again - no joy

Good Luck with your search

Sue

[

Also - probably doesn't help in finding Herbert - but Hatipha Wright (the father) has such an unusual name - Stakar 12 - (sorry to be so formal!!) do you know when Sarah died - and did he remarry??

A Hatipha Wight of a very similar age (58) travelled to Quebec on the "Letitia" from Liverpool - left 24th April 1925 with wife Margaret (38) 2 year old Christopher Wright - and another child - 8 year old Leslie Humphries. An address in Vancouver is shown - and the Worldwide version of Ancestry (that I don't have unfortunately) shows the death of a Hatipha Wright in the British Columbia death indexes in 1936

I did check the Canadian Attestation papers to see if maybe Herbert had gone to Canada before the war and enlisted there - but again - no joy

Good Luck with your search

Sue

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sue

I don't have many clues as my great grandparents told my nana very little. I do have a memorial card for Sarah Wright who departed this life on March 20th 1920 age 54 years and is interred at St. Mary's Church, Slough, March 25th 1920. I also have a photo of the Wright family which has Albert Wright, Edith Wright (my great grandmother), Albert Wright, Hatipha Wright, Sarah Wright, and an adopted sister (who I think may be called Lillian based on 1901 census). I was led to believe Hatipha was a policeman. I also have a memorial card for a George Wright who died on Feb 5th 1913 aged 74 years and is interred at Langley Churchyard. My Nana has written on this that it was Ediths Uncle but, I tend to think it was Hatipha's father. I have no further information about any of them.

Hope you may shed some light and thank you so much for taking the time.

Again Thanks Karan (Stakar12)

Karan - I'll send you a PM with some more info about Hatipha - from Ancestry etc so if you want to take him further you can order some certificates that might give you more info.

Sorry that Herbert seems to be so elusive though

All the Best

Sue

• 2 years later...

To those that have been so wonderful with the above search of Albert George Wright and Herbert Hatipha Wright - finally some results.

It might have taken a couple of years but, I have finally found Herbert Hatipha Wright. Persistance is the key!

Herbert Hatipha (Halipha) Wright, bn abt 1887 Newport, age at enlistment 27, regimental number 43117.

Family folk law was incorrect Herbert was not a casulty of WWI (that I can find at this point). I have come across his service record that lists information that makes me believe this is him. (his birth year, address and next of kin).

Herbert has listed on the service record:

Enlisted 19/9/1914 Golchester, Embarked Folkestone 31/7/1916, posted to 13th battalion Essex regiment 12/8/1916 Missing in action 30/11/1917, POW 4/12/1917, released POW 6/1/1919, Theatre of war Eastern, Repatriated Prisoner of war. It also has a second regiment number 1234 listed but that number hasn't given me anything of use.

I am hoping that maybe another member of this forum might be able to add to what I have discovered or tell me a bit about what I have found.

Thanks again

Karan

Hi Karan,

Hopefully the following will help you make sense of Albert's record.

Having been doing family history for a few years, I have learned to make up a complete list of all the information contained in any records IN DATE ORDER, and even if I don't know the date or what it means I still include it. The idea is that you build up a Diary of his life.

If it is a form signed by the person (such as the Enlistment Form there will usually be a date on it and I use that date for all the information it contains.

So for this first example, his Medical History form (Sheet 0450) all the information is taken from one form which he signed and would look something like this:

19 Septembr 1914 - Herbert took his Enlistment Medical at Shepherds Bush. He was 27 years of age and 5 feet 5 and a half inches in heigh. He weighed 114 and a half pounds and was described as having a "fair" physical development. His chest measurement was 34 and one eighth inch and he could expand that by two and a half inches. Herbert had originally been vaccinated in infancy and again since then.

As you get more information from other forms which relate to the same date you can add to it as shown below (The extra information comes from Sheet 0483).

19 Septembr 1914 - Herbert, who was blue eyed, with a "fresh" complexion and brown hair, took his Enlistment Medical at Shepherds Bush. He was 27 years of age and 5 feet 5 and a half inches in height. He weighed 114 and a half pounds and was described as having a "fair" physical development. His chest measurement was 34 and one eighth inch and he could expand that by two and a half inches. Herbert also had a mole on the back of his right thigh had originally been vaccinated in infancy and again since then.

Another example of one form with one date (Sheet 0452):

10 March 1919 When Herbert was issued with his "Protection Certificate and Certificate Of Identity" form by the Orderly Room of the Essex Regiment Depot at Warley, it had stamped upon it that he was a Repatriated Prisoner Of War. He was issued this form because he was going on furlough before discharge from the Army and the form could be used to prove his identity and that he was on approved furlough before discharge.

(Note this way of recording it is less "dry" than the usual method and will mean much more to future generations who read the records you keep about him.

These next examples shown below are still from one form (Casualty Form - Active Service, but only some from the front page which is Sheet 0454) but with multiple dates, each of which is treated as a separate entry:

31 July 1916 Herbert embarked at Folkestone to join the BEF in France and arrived in Boulogne later that day.

1 September 1916 Another transfer, to the 13th (Service) Battalion, The Essex Regiment where he was alloted a new Regiment Number (43117)

15 - 16 November 1916 Admitted to 5 Field Aid Station overnight due to Contusions of the back, possibly by shell fire.

4 - 10 December 1916 Again Herbert was admitted to a Field Aid Station (No 6). This time with Myalgia (muscle pain).

As you go through each form (and you can keep going back over forms as you learn more about research), you add any new information into the "Diary" in date order so as to keep building the story.

A final note about dates on forms. If, like the casualty form, there are columns, and you end up with two dates for the same event (one in the first date column and one in the second date column and both are on the same line) use the earlier date as the date of the event. The later date is the date that the entry was made.

Finally, entries without dates or with unreadable dates. Have a separate section to your diary, and just enter anything you think is interesting, but always as separate entries.

I know this does not add to your knowledge of Herbert, but if you do it this way, by the time you have gone through the records half a dozen times and written it up this way, you will suddenly realise that his life in the army is much more an open book than you ever thought it would be.

Hope it helps

Colin

Wow Colin that is fabulous. It mightn't look like you have added to my knowledge but, I learnt more from that than the half dozen times I have read the service record.

Thanks

Karan

Hi Karan,

Having some spare time on my hands this morning, and always willing to help a fellow Aussie I did a bit more Diary type work and basically finished off the records.

Thought I had better check it was OK with you though before I posted it here.

Also, you can download the units War Diary here for £3.50 and then you can read the daily entries which will give you some idea of what was happening each day. If you do buy it, make sure you down load all four sections.

Let me know if it is okay to post the completed work on the Diary on this forum, or if you would prefer me to email it to you.

Regards

Colin

Archived