Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German arm of service 'Ehrenbuch' series

bierast

Does anyone have access to, or know of a library (ideally in the UK) with copies of, the German 'Ehrenbucher' for the arms of service, as referenced by e.g. Cron and mentioned intermittently on this forum?

I am interested in consulting:

Das Ehrenbuch der Deutschen Pioniere

(Wilhelm Kolk - Berlin unter Veranlassung und Mitarbeit des Waffenrings Deutscher Pioniere von Paul Heinrici - 1931)

And most especially the equivalent book for the Feldartillerie.

The heavy / foot artillery book is also of related interest for lookups on the battalion of Fussartillerie (Fussart.Batt.102) which accompanied my GGF's Feldart.Reg.48 for the last two years of the war.

Does anyone have access to, or know of a library (ideally in the UK) with copies of, the German 'Ehrenbucher' for the arms of service, as referenced by e.g. Cron and mentioned intermittently on this forum?

I am interested in consulting:

Das Ehrenbuch der Deutschen Pioniere

(Wilhelm Kolk - Berlin unter Veranlassung und Mitarbeit des Waffenrings Deutscher Pioniere von Paul Heinrici - 1931)

And most especially the equivalent book for the Feldartillerie.

The heavy / foot artillery book is also of related interest for lookups on the battalion of Fussartillerie (Fussart.Batt.102) which accompanied my GGF's Feldart.Reg.48 for the last two years of the war.

Andi,

I have all the books you list. The Ehrenbuecher do not generally contain indexed lists of all units in any detailed manner. I will gladly look for you if you detail what it is you're looking for, and we'll see what we can find.

Paul

I have all the books you list. The Ehrenbuecher do not generally contain indexed lists of all units in any detailed manner. I will gladly look for you if you detail what it is you're looking for, and we'll see what we can find.

Marvellous - that's very kind of you.

Here's what I'm looking for:

4. Reserve Komp., Pionier Batt. 12 (1st Royal Saxon)

- Any detail of service history, unit attachments etc. most especially for 18th July 1918, when they were in the 53rd Reserve Div. sector north of Pernant / Soissons.

- Anything on the commander (by 1918) of said company, Leutnant der Reserve Hellmuth Lenke, who won the Militär St.Heinrichs Orden (Ritter - awarded 14th August 1918) for his actions on 18th July 1918, when he saved over 600 men of IR 472 and 473 (in my GGF's 241 Div. on the left flank of 53 Res. Div.) from near-certain captivity by improvising a bridge over the Aisne under fire. Surprisingly, this episode gets only brief and indirect references in Sachsen in Grosser Zeit and nothing in the regimental histories for IR 472 and 473.

Feldartillerie Regiment 48 (4th Royal Saxon)

- Practically any reference to this unit (above a name check or outline of movements and attachments, which I know in full by now). Especially any photos of the formation, personal accounts, anecdotes etc. This was my GGF's regiment and my primary focus of interest. Also any details of their armament - e.g. if and when they received the new FK 16, which batts were armed with howitzers (I think 4, 5 and 6 but am not certain) etc.

Fussartillerie Batt. 102 (Royal Saxon)

- Largely as for FAR 48, but especially any detail as to types of guns used.

I'm also more generally interested in any photographic evidence or anecdotes regarding battery MG sections, their training and deployment. The only photo I've seen that shows Feldartillerie personnel with an MG is the one in Sulzbach's book showing himself training with an MG08.

No rush - anything within the above parameters would be most useful to me.

Cheers

Andi Lucas