Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Three books just finished

specialops

I've just finnished the following three books and thoroughly enjoyed all of them

and they were all brought cheap at Superbooks (good place to look first).

Christmas Truce by Malcolm Brown and Shirley Seaton ISBN 0-300-39065-1

Defeat at Gallipoli by Nigel Steel and Peter Hart ISBN 0-330-49058-3

Found this book very interesting and couldn't put it down.

First Day on the Somme by Martin Middlebrook ISBN 0-141-39071-9

Another one I couldn't put down.

As I am a WW1 novice I found these Titles very easy to read and would recommend them to anyone starting out on the WW1 history.

Are there any others that you wuold recommend to a beginner ?

Hi specialops

Cheerful Sacrifice, The Battle of Arras 1917 by Jonathan Nicholls.

There's A Devil in the Drum by J.F. Lucy.

They Called it Passchendaele by Lye Macdonald.

Somme by Lye Macdonald.

To the Last Man, Spring 1918 by Lye Macdonald.

The Roses of No Man's Land by by Lye Macdonald.

GAS! The Battle for Ypres, 1915 by J. McWilliams & R.J. Steel.

A Sergeant-Major's War, from Hill 60 to the Somme by Ernest Shephard.

1914, The Glory Departing by Edward Owen.

Cannon Fodder, An Infantryman's Life on the Western Front 1914-18. by A.Stuart Dolden.

All very good reads.

Annette

Malcolm Brown's series of Imperial War Museum volumes( 'Western Front'. 'Somme' and '1918') together with 'The Hell They Called High Wood' by Terry Norman and 'Pillars of Fire' by Ian Passingham (about the battle of Messines) are all books in what could be described as the 'Middlebrook' tradition, ie putting personal accounts in the context of the battle as a whole. As has been stated before on this forum, I think that this is the weakness of Lyn Macdonald's otherwise excellent books, that she does not have the same grasp of the wider picture as these authors.

Once you have read more about the Bitish experience of the Great War, you might like to consider reading something about both the French and German experience of the Great War. My recommendations would be:

The Price of Glory - Alistair Horne

Under Fire (Le Feu) - Henri Barbusse

Verdun - Jules Romains

Storm of Steel - Ernst Junger

All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque

Have a look at this extract which I found on the web at: http://www.btinternet.com/~a.jackson/lais_e.htm

It is the translation of an extract from a German account of part of the Battle of Serre, itself part of the Somme Offensive of 1916. This excellent site is dedicated to the Accrington Pals.

Chris.

Christmas Truce by Malcolm Brown and Shirley Seaton ISBN 0-300-39065-1

Defeat at Gallipoli by Nigel Steel and Peter Hart ISBN 0-330-49058-3

Found this book very interesting and couldn't put it down.

First Day on the Somme by Martin Middlebrook ISBN 0-141-39071-9

Another one I couldn't put down.

What a super selection to start with!

Christmas Truce gives a good insight into the early part of the war and the regulars as well as the fascinating happenings of Christmas 1914.

First Day on the Somme follows up with a look at the Kitchener volunteers and their entry in to the war. Don't forget that there were another 148 days of the Battle of the Somme

Defeat at Gallipoli is a sound volume that reminds us that the Western Front was not the be-all and end-all of the war.

If there are some gaps left they are probably a look at the styles of 1917 and 1918.

For 1917 Cheerful Sacrifice gives a good view of the Battle of Arras and if you can find a copy of Cambrai by Smithers it will give a good idea of the impact of the tanks by the time they had begun to mature.

For 1918 you could start with Martin Middlebrooks "The Kaiser's Battle" which reflects the Onset of the German Spring Offensive. After the initial onslaught and advance movement slowed again and the turning point is often recognised as the Battle of Amiens at the start of August. The second battle of the Marne and the last 100 days during which the British Army was arguably at it's finest ever are still less well documented (and less well known and understood). This period is best tackled when you have explored the preceding events.

Away from the Western Front you might try and search out a copy of Across The Piave (Norman Gladden) which is a wonderful personal account of the Italian Campaign. That would only leave Salonika; Egypt & Palestine and Mesopotamia of the major theatres of war.

That leaves two other gaps - the Air War and the Naval War. For the naval campaign the focus is probably Jutland and there are various volumes which cover this battle - it's really a case of just "take your pic". The air war is better covered in detail that in broad view, so I will suggest you start with Cecil Lewis' gripping personal tale "Sagittarius Rising" which conveys the world of the Royal Flying Corps as well as any and the experience of a youngster in at the dawn of air warfare.

You might like to peruse the "Book Reviews" threads and add your own thoughts as you read on.

Good reading.

• 2 years later...

I saw 1914, The Glory Departing by Edward Owen at the book store the other day and it seems like a good read. Can anyone else comment if its a must buy? Andy

I have to admit I am rather partial to Deaths men. I keep it in the car and it is always available for times when one needs to wait on ones other half.

Regards.

Tom.

Tickled To Death To Go, edited by Richard Van Emden. ISBN 1-873376-55-3.

The story of a Cavalryman in the Great War-Private Ben Clouting of the 4th Dragoons.

Easy book to read, (4th time of reading)