Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"X.Coy

dog

Hi

Can some person tell me what the "X, Coy"was, being ex military I have never heard of this.

The text in which I found this is as follows; Pte 31449 J T Arkell, X.Coy, 4th Worcestershire Regt

Memorialhunter

Can't say I've come across an "X Coy" before either. Maybe it was something peculier to the Regiment? There are a few Pals on the forum with an interest in the Worcestershires, so maybe they can shine a light on it?!?!

However below is his MIC and there is nothing there to suggest anything out of the ordinary.

Les

arkelljh6.jpg

No . Companies were lettered, not numbered (and 10 is pretty highfor a coy number anyway!). Different units used different lettering, sometimes down simply to the whim of the commanding officer (eg. 11/ELR changed from "A,B,C,D, E" Coys to "W, X, Y,Z and R" Coys when taken over by Lt.Col.(T) Rickman. He was ex- NFs who also used "W,X...etc". Other variants can also be found - the 11/Manchesters for example with their "P,Q,R,S" Coys.

Dave.

The 4th Worcesters were a regular battalion and became part of the 29th Division formed in January 1915 once they had returned home from Burma - the 29th was the final divison of the 'old' army constructed from battalions recalled from abroad.

First used in Galliopli, landing at Cape Helles April 24th 1915.

Stacke says "X", "Z" and "Y" Companies were in the front line, in that order from the right. Two platoons of "W" Company were in reserve behind the southern redoubt.