Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherborne Castle Hospital (Dorset)

chris@gare.co.uk

Can anyone point me in the direction where I can find information about Sherborne Castle Hospital (Dorset) which was used as hospital for wounded soldiers during the war - Google doesn't seem to turn up any detail.

Thanks

Chris

The Norman Castle was, I believe, near Sherborne School so it may be worth contacting them. There is a Norman Abbey too but I think that is now part of the school. I have never been there myself. Many temporatry hospitals were set up and it seems few records survive.

Have you contacted Sherborne Castle itself

here?

If the staff there can't help they may know a local historian who can.

A Google provides little info save to confirm that it was a Red Cross Hospital in the Great war.

If no further details are forthcoming from this Forum, an enquiry to Dorset Local Studies Library may provide a lead to a history of the town.

Moonraker

There are two Sherborne castles relatively close to each other- one is early Medieval and in ruins and the other a much later building which is still in use. It is the latter which was used as a hospital in WW1.

Regards, Roger.

Thanks for the info guys. Google doesn't help much so it looks like a visit to the museum is required.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris

I live near Sherborne and know that at least one military hospital was situated in the town not in the castle. There are two castles..the old (slighted by Cromwell) so now a draughty shell! and a more ostentatious pile known as the new castle. One of the daughters of the Wingfield Digbys (the family who still own said castles) was a nurse in the military hospital situated in the town. pm me if you want more details.