Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Withdrawal Gallipoli - improvisation.

Guest John Orfei

Guest John Orfei

A while back, I read an article about the withdrawal of the Gallipoli Peninsular by the ANZAC Troops. The article spoke about the Australian Soliders and that they had earned a reputation for ingenuity and improvisation.

The ghost gun AKA self-firing Enfield Rifle was devised by ANZAC Troopers to give the impression that they were still in the line (Trench) even after they had departed. Two versions of the ghost gun were used; 1) Used two small tins (cans) one tin with a small hole in it , which was filled with water which then dripped into the second tin. When full w/ water the tin would then fall over and fired the rifle by tugging on a rope or string which was attached to the trigger of the rifle in question. 2) the next version involved the use of a candle or torch which burned slowly through the string or rope which then dropped a weight (Rock) which then fired the rifle.

Where can I find a picture of the improvisation and was this a ruse used in any other theaters(by either side of the wire).

John

There is an illustration of a water operated SMLE in the illustrated edition of "Gallipoli" by Alan Moorhead, this edition published by Macmillan, Australia in 1975.

The picture is credited to the Australian War Memorial, Canberra so their Photo Archive should be able to help you.

Mike_H

John,

Sorry, no pictures: however you can see a reference to one form of this devise in Gen. Sir John Monash's letter of 18 Dec 1915

"It is done by allowing a tin to fill slowly withwater until it overbalances, falls, and jerks a string which fires the rifle. I have had ten rifles fixed in this way, which will be started by the last men to leave, and will fire off respectively five, ten, fifteen and twenty minutes afterwards. In this way the enemy will think we are still in the trenches after we have got over a mile away."

Hope that you find a picture.

Regards, Michael D.R.

John

More info - if you go to the AWM site www.awm.gov.au/index.htm and search the collections database for photographs using Gallipoli water rifle you will get a picture of one of these devices set up.

Mike_H

Hi John

This probably doesn't help you now, but if any members of this forum are ever in Western Australia, check out the Army Museum of Western Australia where there is a display of one of these improvised rifles on display in the Gallipoli section of the WW1 Gallery.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew

As it happens I will be in Perth towards the end of February. Would you please let me know the address of the Army Museum of Western Australia and if possible its opening hours as I am on quite a tight schedule.

I also remember your mention of the "badges and memorials?" in King's Park in a previous post. Where are they situated ?

Regards

Myrtle

Hi Myrtle

The address of the Western Australian Army Museum is

Artillery Barracks

2 Burt Street

Fremantle.

It's just off Queen Victoria Street.

Unfortunately it's not open every day, but is open on saturday & sunday 1230pm-430pm & Wednesday 10am-4.30pm.

I am a volunteer guide at the museum so I could quite possibly be there if you are able to get there on a sunday.

Kings Park is also well worth a visit. Along the main Fraser Avenue and other minor avenues each of the trees in the Park have a little plaque under them indicating a person who was killed in the war.

There are also several other memorials in Kings Park such as the main Cenotaph designed by Lt-Gen Sir Talbot Hobbs.(This also has a brilliant view over the Swan river and Perth City) Plus there are various other memorials in the Park ranging from the Boer War to Vietnam.

If you want to know any more please feel free to e-mail me on

andrewp@fremantle.wa.gov.au

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the information on opening times at the Army Museum of WA .

How long would one need, to view the WW1 area of the museum ?

Unfortunately I will not be able to visit the AMWA on a Sunday as I arrive on a Sunday and leave the next. I am hoping to visit the museum on the Wednesday and Kings Park whenever I can.

By the way I tried to email you but could not get through. Is it more difficult being a gov. email address?

Regards

Myrtle

Hi Myrtle

The WW1 section of the Army museum is covered by the WW1 gallery and the Trench Gallery.

The WW1 gallery covers the different theatres of Gallipoli, Palestine & The Western Front. It shouldn't take to long to go through it. Some people spend an hour or so just in this gallery, but I guess it just depends on how much you want to read.

The room that houses the WW1 Gallery used to be the old Barracks Kitchen & Mess. The story is that many of the troops had their last meal on Australian soil in these rooms before they sailed away for the war.

If you have the time the WW2 Prisoner of War gallery is well worth a look. It was designed by ex-POW's and it brings to life the suffering they endured under the Japanese.

That's strange about my work e-mail, anyway in case you need to contact me my other address is

sadliervc@hotmail.com

Cheers

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...