Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regiment number but no name

Guest Amanda

Hi

Can anyone tell me how I can find out the name of a soldier who was in the British Expeditionary Force, France?

The details I have on the back of the photograph are:

L/Cpl F King 36.227 (F - looks like an 'f')

X Coy 4th Batt (Coy - I could have this wrong due to the style of handwriting)

Yorks Reg

BEF

France

It looks from the dress and photograph as if he was a solider in the First World War.

Thank you. Amanda.

Amanda . Welcome .

I am confused - you have his name or do you mean the first name. I think that the number is possibly 36227

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Think this is him - it is a J

stevem

Hi

I'm no longer confused. I thought J King was an abbreviation for the name of the regiment i.e. King's Fusiliers.

Although I now have another mystery as I have nobody with the surname King in my family tree.

Thank you for replying. Amanda.

He could have been the friend of one of your family that served. It looks as though he survived because i cannot see him on the CWGC site.

L/Cpl = Lance Corporal

Best of luck.

steve

• 4 years later...
Guest StephanieWhitehead

Hi,

Not sure if you will still be checking this as you posted a long time ago. I am just researching our family tree and I think the photo you have is of my great grandfather, Corporal Joseph King who had number 36227. If you do read this and you are able to send me a copy of the photo if you still have it I would love to see it.

Stephanie Whitehead

Stephanie, looks like Amanda's long gone, but you could try sending her a PM and she should get an e-mail notification.

Good luck

Sean

Sean,

I don't think either of them can use the PM system until they have 5 posts?

And (as you know) according to her history Amanda was only ever on the site for 1 day - it's a dead duck I am afraid.

BillyH.

Billy, would it be the case if Stephanie makes enough posts to PM Amanda, will Amanda still get an e-mail notifying her of a PM on the forum, or does Amanda need to also have 5 posts to recieve a PM? Thats assuming that Amanda still has the same e-mail address of course!

Regards

Sean.

Sean,

I think you have to "tick" something on your profile to get an e-mail alert?

I know I don't get them anyway, but I am on here most days so it doesn't matter.

I suspect that the 5 post rule applies to receiving PM's as well as sending them, which really kills it.

But I can appreciate the frustration of knowing that there is a photo you want in someones else possession and you can't ask for a copy.

If Stephanie sees this conversation she could manipulate another 3 posts or else she could ask you or I to try PM'ing Amanda on her behalf? Perhaps better youself because I am away on holiday on Saturday!

BillyH.

Billy, I hadn't even considered doing that, how dim of me :doh: will try it now and keep fingers crossed. Be a shame to see an opportunity like this go unrewarded!! Have a good holiday, watch this space

Regards

Sean

Edit: Amanda cant receive PM's!! Maybe one of the MOD's can find an e-mail address and make contact?