Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

18th hussars/Black watch

sarahcole1978

Hi, I'm interested in finding out about my Great Grandfather William Hancock the story goes (from my Nan) that he was scottish in the blackwatch and killed during ww1 in India or Burma when she was only 3yrs old. but when tracing my family tree I ordered his Marriage certificate to my Great Nan which states that in 1915 he was a private in the 18th Hussars and staying at scarboro cavalry barracks unfourtunatley it did not have his service number, after more research I found out he was actually born in Lanchester, County Durham in 1892 and when my Nan passed away last April I found a photo of him in a Black watch uniform with 1922 written on the back so maybe he was not killed during the war. I cannot find him on any roll of honor of soldiers killed and have really hit a brick wall. if anyone has any info or advise on what I can do to solve this mystery I would be very gratefull.

Many Thanks

Sarah

Sarah

Scarborough was the Depot for the 18th Hussars so that makes sense. He would then have probably gone to the Reserve Regiment at Colchester. During 1916 many cavalry Reservists ended up in Infantry units so this may explian what happened to him. A quick look at the medal index cards at the NA found no certain Hussars link and though there was a man in the 11th Hussars this would not fit with Scarborough.

Patrick

Here is that MIC mentioned by Jon

post-888-1205597364.jpg

Here is that MIC mentioned by Jon

Thank you it seems to fit but he married my great grandmother in January 1915 and the medal card is dated July 1915 would this have been enough time to be in 2 regiments? thanks again Sarah

If he enlisted on the outbreak of war he would, I believe, have had sufficient training to go to France as an infantry soldier in July 1915. He may have transferred shortly after his marraige. Perhaps before going to the Cavalry Reserve Regiment. If you post his picture one of the Black Watch researchers may be able to help more. Any detail you have on him could help.

With his age he may even have been a regular in the 18th Hussars but then it is a bit strange they didn't keep him. Still a variety of options.

HI,

I have attached the photo I have of him it is a post card style photo taken in Eastbourne which is where he married and where he would have lived after his marriage to Annie Eliza Peasland in jan 1915 his name was William Hancock born 1892 in Lanchester Durham his father was called Henry or Harry and his mother Edith, don't know if any of that is relevant but in case it helps. on the back of the photo someone has written uncle Will 1922.

post-32608-1205600757.jpg

Many Thanks

Sarah

Sarah,

he's certainly Blackwatch, I'd say this photo was taken before William went overseas. Do you know when he died? Could it be that he died in 1922 as a result of injuries sustained in the war, this would explain why he isn't recorded on CWGC, SDGW, Rolls of Honour etc,

cheers, Jon

Sarah,

Great picture! The soldier is in The Black Watch. The date of the photograph is most probably correct as he is wearing collar badges (early 1920s). These were not worn during the war.

Hope this is of use

Aye

Tom McC

Hi Jon

No unfourtunatly I don't but my Nan always said he was killed in either Burma or India when she was about 3 which would have been 1918 but she could have been wrong, there is no record of his death in the death indexs for this country so it's reall puzzleing. do you know if the blackwatch served in Burma or India at this time?

Thanks Sarah

I think the 2nd Battalion, The Black Watch, was in Mesopotamia during the Great War so they would have had a Depot in India. But this may not have been there as late as 1922.

I guess the only way would be to get hold of his service records any idea how I can do that?

Thanks to you all for your help

sarah

Sarah,

In 1918, the 1st Battalion was in the 1st Brigade of the 1st Division in France. It served in this division for the entire war. The 2nd Battalion sailed from the Mesopotamia theatre to Palestine on New Year's day 1918, where it served the for the remainder of the war.

After the war the 1st Battalion went out to India (Quetta), and the 2nd Battalion was the Home Service Battalion.

Aye

Tom McC

If they survive they may be on Ancestry eventually but if he was serving in 1922 you may have to go to the MOD. I think the army, as a rule, destoyed papers of deceased soldiers but maybe this had changed by then.

Tom has put the 1st Battalion in India (Quetta), that should help.