Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

uvf cap badge and ycv.

JON1971

hi all,

recently obtained 2 cap badges.uvf one states "SHARMANN D NIELL BELFAST".

ycv one has no makers stamp.it is a pewter type metal.

any thoughts appreciated.

thanks..

jon

post-31941-1205589570.jpg

post-31941-1205589584.jpg

post-31941-1205589590.jpg

hi all,

recently obtained 2 cap badges.uvf one states "SHARMANN D NIELL BELFAST".

ycv one has no makers stamp.it is a pewter type metal.

any thoughts appreciated.

thanks..

jon

not happy with the YCV...need clearer pics

Buying 14TH batt badges is a minefield unless you know what you're looking for...the bottom of the crown is smaller where it hits the shamrock...the stem of the shamrock is longer and the veins in the leaf are more defined...heres my example of a 'right one'

ycv-1.jpg

THANKS FOR INFO,

I WOULD HAVE TO SAY.IT DOESN`T LOOK THAT MUCH DIFFERENT THAN MINE.MAYBE MY PHOTOS AREN`T DETAILED ENOUGH.

ALL SAID,

I APPRECIATE YOUR OPINION.

THANKS..

JON

Jon,

The brass badge you have with the the long fixing loops is original. Though its not UVF, its a 36th Division cap badge as issued when the Division first started to form around late September/October 1914. They were replaced by regimental cap badges so i imagine most of these were sent home as souviniers as i don't think they were recalled.

The YCV badge may not be original. It is one of those items that has been copied since the early 70's at least, difficult to say for sure.

I have one which i understand to be original as it came with a set of buttons and a shoulder title.

It is completely different to either yours or Mark's.

On mine the stalk is about half as thick, very thin indeed, and longer.

The hand is also much finer, no creases across the knuckles. and the veining running from the hand is of a slightly differant pattern and much finer.

It has a brass slider with no makers name.

Unfortunately at some time it has had the crown snap off and a not too good repair done. this is another reason i think its original. If it was a copy it wouldn't be worth repairing.

My scanner is playing up so i can't get a picture up.

I have seen another like it in a collection in Belfast.

I wonder if there is a difference between the pre-war and wartime badges.

Many collectors i know are unsure about these so tend to not bother with them, but will usually say its a copy to be on the safe side.

Rob

Jon,

The brass badge you have with the the long fixing loops is original. Though its not UVF, its a 36th Division cap badge as issued when the Division first started to form around late September/October 1914. They were replaced by regimental cap badges so i imagine most of these were sent home as souviniers as i don't think they were recalled.

The YCV badge may not be original. It is one of those items that has been copied since the early 70's at least, difficult to say for sure.

I have one which i understand to be original as it came with a set of buttons and a shoulder title.

It is completely different to either yours or Mark's.

On mine the stalk is about half as thick, very thin indeed, and longer.

The hand is also much finer, no creases across the knuckles. and the veining running from the hand is of a slightly differant pattern and much finer.

It has a brass slider with no makers name.

Unfortunately at some time it has had the crown snap off and a not too good repair done. this is another reason i think its original. If it was a copy it wouldn't be worth repairing.

My scanner is playing up so i can't get a picture up.

I have seen another like it in a collection in Belfast.

I wonder if there is a difference between the pre-war and wartime badges.

Many collectors i know are unsure about these so tend to not bother with them, but will usually say its a copy to be on the safe side.

Rob

thanks rob,

again i appreciate your help.uvf/ww1 all new to me.the badges came from a dealer in wales.the armbands(from a freind,as explained above.never been in a collection before).

thanks..

jon