Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oak Leaf on a Victory Riband

Peter Woodger

Hi Pals

The picture shows an Oak leal on the Riband of a Victory Medal. To my inexperienced eye it is not the Oak leaf used for Mentions during the War but is more like the post 1920 design. The lady in question had a GSM for Iraq and Waztristan 1921-24 but if the mention is for either should it be worn on the GSM Riband.

Peter

post-14342-1205568924.jpg

Just a thought, the oak leaf was issued in 2 sizes the smaller being just an inch long - might this be one of those?

Army orders stated a Great War OL should be worn on the VM or in its absence the WM.

Hi Pals

The picture shows an Oak leal on the Riband of a Victory Medal. To my inexperienced eye it is not the Oak leaf used for Mentions during the War but is more like the post 1920 design. The lady in question had a GSM for Iraq and Waztristan 1921-24 but if the mention is for either should it be worn on the GSM Riband.

Peter

do you mean by that a GSM named to a woman with a MID for ww1 and a IGSM ? Thats pretty special

Thanks Ian.

I was unaware of size differences. Please do not scale this one from the riband size as it is photgraphed on the miniature.

I thought I had read that the wartime mention was a pair of leaves and the single came after 1920. Ready to be shot down.

Peter

Coldstreamer

It gets more unusual when you add Burma Star, 39/45, Victory and Territorial to a RRC and OBE for gallantry

Peter

MID on victory upto 10.8.1920

after that relevent medal

Now you have got me. Despiate?

Peter

so whats her full group then ??

Now you have got me. Despiate?

Peter

sorry eating breakfast and typing doesnt mix - Ive rewritten the thread as it didnt make sense

These are her WW1 medals. It would appear that if her MiD is for Iraq then it would be the right shape and mounting position. Now I know where to start looking in the London Gazette. WW2 group follows if Chris will turn a blind eye. Peter

sure he wont mind if its related

For some reason the pic did not show. It was too big then the phone went!

post-14342-1205578058.jpg

anything to attribute them to the recipient ?

now to try her later group

post-14342-1205578246.jpg

any idea why she didnt have them in the correct order all together ?

Both group photos are of the miniatures. The Waz1ristan clasp is missing in the miniatures but is present on the full size. The WW1 victory medal is missing but all other medals are present and named. The lady is Ida Walden QAIMNS. She left the Army in 1947 and went to Kenya . She retired from Matron of the Mombasa and Coast Hospital in 1963 at the age of 74. She died just short of her 90th birthday

Just seen your 14 as I wrote 15. The answer id no but it gets more complex. She does not strike me as a woman who would wear a medal she was not entitled to but you can see from her WW1 group that the bar is a space on which there was a QEII GSM without clasp. As she left the Army she travelled via Malaya and Singapore and may thus have qualified for a GSM but it would have been GVI.

If she had not applied for the medal until later would they have issued the wrong soverign, seems most unlikely.