Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

126th RFA XXIX

K.Baker

Im interested in any details of 126th Bty RFA XXIX 4th Div. Their movements, actions, requirements, role, anything really from before the War till 1916. All i can find is they left Shornecliffe in 1914 and then nothing really till my G-Grandads death on 29/06/16. I guess they were involved in the 7 day bombardment before 01/07/16 somewhere along the line? I have a 1914 star which i believe means he was in France from the beginning, but there seems to be no mention anywhere of 126th or XXIX and little on 4th Div that ive found. On 29/06/16 he was a Serjeant, but on the 1914 star he is BMBR (Name) R.F.A. I dont know what BMBR means, would that explain anything? Also, ive seen mentioned somewhere 126th 'Heavy' Bty, would this be their full title or another group entirely?

I may be able to get to the Imperial War Museum London next week, any advice for that visit would be appreciated also.

Thanks

KB

P.S Have i got this right ... 126th Bty are the small group of men who actually fire and maintain the guns/shells, they would be part of XXIX Brigade which is groups of Bty's, and Brigades make up Divisions which contain all soldiers, infantry and such???? If anyone could set me straight on that please.

Thanks

KB

KB: The majority of what you say is reasonably correct. 126th Battery was part of 29th Brigade, RFA, which was part of the 4th Division for the entire war. The 4th Division went to France and Flanders in August 1914, which would account for you GGFs 1914 Star. It fought at LeCateau on 26 Aug 14; took part in First Ypres during Oct and Nov 14 and was in at the beginning of the Battle of the Somme in July 1916. BMBR = Bombardier, a rank between Gunner/Driver and Corporal. Neither 126th Battery nor 29th Brigade were "heavy" - there was a 126th Heavy Battery but it was a part of the Royal Garrison Artillery (RGA) and not the Royal Field Artillery (RFA).

You are correct about a battery, it was commanded by a Major and had four to six guns and somewhat over 100 men.

If you want to read the War Diary of the 29th Brigade, RFA for the period that your GGF served in you should go to the National Archives (PRO) and ask for WO95/1466.

Regards. Dick Flory

• 5 months later...

For the period of April-May, 1915, there are some relevant War Diary segments available here:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/02015202_e.html

Useful keywords are "4th Division" (ignore 4th Canadian Division), or "Sketches and Locations". The files are not always well indexed, so one might need to spend some time looking about.

This snippet of a unit location report (including the 126th Bty.) is found in the "Sketches and Locations" file.

post-16-1090368733.jpg