Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt George Edward Reffell (RFC)

Guest jamaine

I am researching my great uncle, George Edward Reffell who was a Lieutenant in the Royal Flying Corps, and my results so far are on my genealogy website at http://www.reffell.org.uk/people/rfcpilotbusinessman.html

I would like some help however as to what squadron he flew in. I have his service record from the National Archives, which shows his postings as Denham (1917), Uxford (1917) and Egypt (1917). He was injured on 15/11/1917 and subsequently invalided back to England. I cannot see any information about his postings.

I have attached two photographs of him, one in his RFC uniform and the other in a plane that I presume from other photographs is a BE2c, although I am no expert. The plane has quite a distinctive marking on it 'Presented by His Highness the Marahajah of Bikanir No.2', and I would also be interested in why it should be so marked. He also seems to be wearing some very strange headgear!

Although I am learning a lot about the RFC, I am still a novice and I would like to thank you in advance for your time.

Regards - John

A3065 Presentation a/c Presented by His Highness the Marajah of Bikanir No 2. To Middle East. X AD Alexandria. 20th Training Wing Egypt dd ex X AD 10.9.1917. 58 TS Suez dd 11.9.1917. 14 Sqn Palestine. X Flt Aqaba 10.1917. Deleted 13.6.1918.