Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bellenglise -- breaking Hindenburg Line

Guest Simon Bull

Guest Simon Bull

In my researches on my village War Memorial I have been considerably assisted by an elderly gentleman (a Second World War veteran) living in New Zealand whose father was wounded on the 29 September 1918 at Bellenglise in the storming of the Hindenburg Line.

I am hoping to repay some of the kindness which this gentleman has shown me, by, when I visit the Western Front at Easter, taking some photographs of the area around about where his father was wounded.

I have three questions:

(1) Can anyone assist me as to where Ascension Valey was - this is where 8th Sherwood Foresters (the unit of the man concern) formed up before the attack at 3 AM.

(2) Can anyone recommend to me an accessible book which will give some details of the action involving the 8th Sherwood Foresters on 29 September 1918?

(3) Does anyone have a trench map for this area at the relevant time which they would be kind enough to put on the site for me to download.

Thanks for any help.

Simon Bull.

Simon

Peter Oldham's 'book, "The Hindenburg Line" Pen and Sword Books, Battleground Europe Series, has a section on this. Unfortunately, 8th Sherwood Foresters is not mentioned in this account.

Terry Reeves

... but it does have a good map of the village (le verguier) and a walk to the Valley. Not far from Cambrai, Simon - I'll look out for you!

Guest Simon Bull

Thanks for the help gents. Any more assistance re the Sherwood Foresters would be much appreciated.

Graham I will keep an eye open for you. We have met, briefly, at Phillip Gorczynski's hotel when he was kind enough to show me the 1917 battlefield.

Simon Bull

• 2 weeks later...

Simon

I have Weetham's History of the 8th Sherwood Foresters at home - an excellent little book. If you e-mail me I would be happy to copy the relevant chapter for you.

Also, see Kevin Mitchinson's Book on Riquerval also in the Battleground Europe series.

Simon,

There is a whole chapter on this action - plus an excellent map - in the history of the 1/8th Sherwood Foresters. The unit formed up very slightly to the east of Ascension Valley - in fact on and above the rising eastern side of the valley.

Martin