Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th KOYLI T/Cap Lt WALBY DSO MC 1916 - 1918

walbyjames

Hi All/Max,

I am resurching details of my Grand Father Herbert C Walby. He was in the 6th Yorkshire Light Infantry which was attached to the 9th KOYLI. He was good friends with Ellis Franklin, Captin in the 10th KOYLI. I have a book, published for private issue, about Ellis and his accounts of the battle at the Somme and Hill 70. I am happy to provide info from it for anybody but am really looking for info on Herbert. Herbert was Mensioned in Dispaches and I have his medals - DSO, MC and the French cross of war. I am trying to find out what he did to get these.

Does the date of the medal mean the date it was awarded or the date the brave act was done?

I look forward to hearing from this great forum. When the Barage Lifts, Ben.

Ben,

You are correct to direct your question to Max, as he has vast knowledge of the KOYLI. However when you say attached to the 9th, in what sense do you mean? I have some information on 64th brigade of which the 9th were part, if you could give dates I will see what, if any, information I have.

regards

Arm

I am resurching details of my Grand Father Herbert C Walby. He was in the 6th Yorkshire Light Infantry which was attached to the 9th KOYLI.

Hello Ben

Whilst blushing slightly at Arms recommendation, I have to say that I have a fair amount on the 6/KOYLI and will check through my stuff tonight when I get in.

Cheers

Andy

Ben Welcome to the forum.

Have you read From Pontefract to Picardy by Derek Clayton?

Your Grandfather is mentioned in there.

Is there anything about Capt Archibald Graham Spark in the book which you have ?

Did your grandfather serve with N Staffordshire Regt too?

There is an MC citation here :-

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...ntPage&all= Walby&exact=&atleast=&similar=

Jane

It seems your grandfather won his DSO while serving with N Staffordshire Regt

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...ntPage&all= Walby&exact=&atleast=&similar=

I believe the link you've provided is to his MC.

This is a Bar to that MC, London Gazette #30915, 24th September 1918.

Lt. Herbert Charles Walby, M.C., N. Staff.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty throughout operations. When the C.O. was wounded he took command of the

battalion and held on to the position until almost surrounded. He then led his men through a narrow gap in the enemy's lines

and took up another position about 500 yards in rear, from which he withdrew later in the day, in conformity with the troops on his flanks, and occupied some heights with 400 men, collected from various units. He held this position until the withdrawal, when he led the last party across a river, before the bridges were blown up. Throughout a trying period he showed unfailing courage and good leadership.

(M.C. gazetted 16th September, 1918.)

Link to the Gazette is Here

Citation for DSO, London Gazette #31119, 11th January 1919..

Lt. (A./Capt.) Herbert Charles Walby, M.C., 4th Bn., N. Staff. R., attd. 9th Bn., Y.L.I.

For conspicuous gallantry during an attack. He led the support company and eventually came up with the leading wave

and took the objective, where he reorganised his men under very heavy fire. In a second attack later in the day his fine example inspired those under him, and when the enemy counter-attacked he personally led forward two platoons to a position from which he could bring fire to bear on them.

Link to Gazette is Here

Regards

Steve

Jane's link has unfortunately got broken (due to Ie7...)

Here is the citation and the unbroken link:

London Gazette 16-9-1918

Lt. Herbert Charles Walby, N. Staff. R.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. When the battalion camp was being shelled and gassed he supervised the movement of the battalion; and when the battalion had counter-attacked and penetrated the enemy's line, he went out, and under heavy fire, got into touch with isolated detachments. His coolness and disregard of danger were a fine example to all.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...t=&similar=

The date is the date of the announcement of the award - by 1918 the delay could be anything between 2 and 6 months!

Steve.

I have a group photo of officers of 9/KOYLI taken on the Somme in April 1916. If he was with them then he will be on the photo. PM me if you would like a copy.

I have a group photo of officers of 9/KOYLI taken on the Somme in April 1916. If he was with them then he will be on the photo. PM me if you would like a copy.

Thanks Paul - He was so to see the photo would be great! He might however been in Hospital as he was in and out a few times early that year! With a definate addmision on the 18/03/16/.

Hello Ben

Whilst blushing slightly at Arms recommendation, I have to say that I have a fair amount on the 6/KOYLI and will check through my stuff tonight when I get in.

Cheers

Andy

You should wear your blush with pride!

I made a mistake which everyone seems to have picked up on - he was in the 4th Battalion North Staffordshire Reg - this was a Special Reserve. attd. 9th (s) Bn KOYLI.

Ben,

You are correct to direct your question to Max, as he has vast knowledge of the KOYLI. However when you say attached to the 9th, in what sense do you mean? I have some information on 64th brigade of which the 9th were part, if you could give dates I will see what, if any, information I have.

regards

Arm

Hi - yes he was in the 4th Noth Staff Reg which was a special reserve attd. the KOYLI;

Temp Lieut 7/7/17

Temp Cap 18/8/18

Released from service 1/6/19

seen your website! Great stuff.

Is there anything about Capt Archibald Graham Spark in the book which you have ?

Jane

Thanks Jane. I will get the book!

Yes he was in the N Staff! This was a special reserve which was attd. to the KOYLI.

Jane

Yes he was in the N Staff! This was a special reserve which was attd. to the KOYLI.

Jane

Yes he was in the N Staff! This was attd. to the KOYLI of which Herbert was in the 9th.

Archibald does not jump out at me as being mesioned - I will keep my eyes out and have a flick through.

Thanks again for your help.

Ben

I have had a scan through my notes and your grandfather receives just one mention...he was wounded on 26th April, 1918 in an abortive attack by 9/KOYLI on the Vierstraat Line.

Andy

Thanks Paul - I will have to rumage through some photos to see what he looked like when he was 18yr old!

I think I have seen this photo somewhere on the net - someone found the Chateux/Farm House it was take outside of during there travals in the area.

Was he really!

Now that is news. never knew he was wounded. What was this mention in?

I will look into this further.

It is taken from notes I made from the 9/KOYLI war diary. Though wounded I think that his status was "at duty".

Andy

Thanks Paul - I will have to rumage through some photos to see what he looked like when he was 18yr old!

I think I have seen this photo somewhere on the net - someone found the Chateux/Farm House it was take outside of during there travals in the area.

Yes, that's my website, above. ;)