Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

15238 PTE W.Moss. R.LANC.R

Ravrick

Hi, I am in the process of researching this guy, I would be interested to know which battalion he served with or if his papers exsist, any help or info appreicated, cheers, Rick

Rick,

Look back here tomorrow afternoon. I have the King's Own Medal Rolls and will consult them tonight to identify his battalion. Depending on which it was then I may have the relevant War Diaries for you as well.

Best wishes.

Andy.

Looking at his Medal Index Card, he had transferred to the Labour Corps prior to being discharged (so doesn't appear in the King's Own Medal Rolls).

He landed in France on 17th July, 1915 - which strongly suggests the 7th Battalion (19th (Western) Division crossed to France 11th-21st July 1915). I would hazard a guess at a late 1914 enlistment.

No idea when he was transferred to the Labour Corps - Ivor Lee on this Forum may be able to help. Unfortunately I don't have the War Diary for the 7th Bn. but it is available on CD-ROM from the King's Own Museum at Lancaster.

post-754-1205332625.jpeg

His Labour Corps number suggests he was transferred towards the end of June 1917.

Cannot be 100% certain but I think he was in either 640 or 641 Company. They were both UK based companies - 640 statiioned at Worcester and 641 at Devonport.

Both were Employment Companies so they would have been used to support military bases/establishments in the locality. Unfortunately as UK companies they did not keep war diaries so there is no other information on them.

Ivor