Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artillery at Gallipoli

rcrawley

Hi All,

Can anyone suggest any sources that examine the artillert used at Gallipoli? I am specifically after something that examines the calibre, range of these guns, the number of guns available etc.

Cheers,

R

"The Forgotten Fronts and the Home Base, 1914-1918" by Farndale is part of the History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery and covers it fairly well. You can check the files of "The Gallipolian" at their website (The Gallipoli Association: http://www.gallipoli-association.org/ )

Mike Morrison

As well as the Official histories of Britain, Australia and New Zealand, these have varying amounts of information:

Dean, E.T. War Service Record of First Australian Field Artillery Brigade, Adelaide, W. K. Thomas, 1920.

Byrne, Lieut. J.R.. New Zealand Artillery in the Field 1914 - 1918, Auckland, Whitcombe & Tombs, 1922.

Johnson, R. M. 29th Divisional Artillery War Record & Honours Book 1915-1918, Woolwich, R.A. Institute, 1921.

There are also references in many accounts to the French .75's.

R,

For the Anzac sector you will find much in the War Diaries of the Class 1/4 General Staff, General Headquarters, Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, from the AWM.

There is in here somewhere a complete listing for all types, numbers and calibres for guns at Helles and Anzac.

http://www.awm.gov.au/diaries/ww1/diary.asp?diary=58

There is also a very good sketch map for the artillery positions at Anzac from this diary by R. G. Casey, held in the National Australian Archives and put up on the ALH forum by John Rice.

Link to the diary: -

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/imagine.as...mp;I=1&SE=1

Hope this will be usefull.

Jeff

Some of the maps held at the NA have, I seem to recall, some info on artillery locations and types of guns, though this is principally for "ANZAC" & the western sections of Suvla.

Rhys

Look at my chapter - the Ottoman Bombardment- in "The Battle of Anzac Ridge". Calibres and suchlike gets a mention there. If you are interested in where the bad guys put their guns then the map shows where the Ottomans put their guns on day one and- because they are good possies- thats where they had many of them in August also. You can still spot some Ottoman gun positions. Look for a faint U shape on the ground often just behind the crest of a rise. For example on third ridge just north of scrubby knoll. Four U shapes together indicates a battery. I recall there are at least that many north of the knoll.

Peter

Hi All,

Can anyone suggest any sources that examine the artillert used at Gallipoli? I am specifically after something that examines the calibre, range of these guns, the number of guns available etc.

Cheers,

R