Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Press reports of soldiers kia etc

daggers

A chance discovery in Liverpool Record Office. They have a typescript alphabetical list of notices in the Evening Express [one of the two evenings then published locally] relating to soldiers, and perhaps a few other servicemen, killed in action or died of wounds. The details given are: rank, surname, first name/initials, and date of publication. While I did not find the name I was looking for, this could be a useful finding aid for anyone researching in Liverpool [Capital of Culture, 2008].

The compiler was Kathy Donaldson, but there is no more detail within the folder which is kept at the enquiry desk among 'ready-use' material.

[A quick Google shows that KD is the Strays co-ordinator for the L'pool & District Family History Society.]

Daggers

Hi Daggers :mellow:

Does the LVRO have a list / register of the Kings Liverpool Regiment that served in the 1914-1918 WW1. Reason for this I have a problem with my Grandad. I have his number, MIC and his wedding date. The problem is the MIC gives him as being in France in September 1915, but he was married 1916[JFM] in West Derby? Did they get leave?

Gaffa

A chance discovery in Liverpool Record Office. They have a typescript alphabetical list of notices in the Evening Express [one of the two evenings then published locally] relating to soldiers, and perhaps a few other servicemen, killed in action or died of wounds. The details given are: rank, surname, first name/initials, and date of publication. While I did not find the name I was looking for, this could be a useful finding aid for anyone researching in Liverpool [Capital of Culture, 2008].

The compiler was Kathy Donaldson, but there is no more detail within the folder which is kept at the enquiry desk among 'ready-use' material.

[A quick Google shows that KD is the Strays co-ordinator for the L'pool & District Family History Society.]

Daggers

Gaffa,

What was your Grandfather's name & number etc?

You may get lucky and someone on the forum may have his details.

Also don't forget the Army service papers on Ancestry.com

Blueblood (Phil) :D

Gaffa

There is more detail at the Merseyside Maritime Museum archives (near the Pier Head, Albert Dock etc) than at the Record Office - strange but true. There are King's experts around and we hope this thread will catch their eyes.

If you post his name and number, try to add anything else such as the battalion & rank [private or rifleman] etc. All helps to track an individual's record.

Daggers

• 4 years later...

Also at the Liverpool Record Office is a typescript alphabetical list (Name, Rank etc of all soldiers KIA, Wounded, POW and those who survived) for WW2 but it also contains a short list of names for the Great War. Book title is: "WW2 Index of Military Personnel: Garston & Woolton Weekly News, 1939-46."

Wooltonian

A word of caution, unless Wooltonian knows otherwise: the central Liverpool Library and Record Office are still closed and are not expected to reopen until spring 2013.

D

Daggers

The temporary Liverpool library, open on the 2nd floor of the museum in William Brown Street, is where the publication: "WW2 Index of Military Personnel: Garston & Woolton Weekly News, 1939-46." can be found at the reception desk. Quite right about the Record Office at Sandhills, which closed last month whilst the stock is relocated to William Brown Street for grand opening next Spring.

Wooltonian

• 1 year later...

Does anybody have a copy of both the WW1 and WW2 Index of Military Personnel: Garston & Woolton Weekly News that they could send to me please? I live in Canada so can't get the the library to have a look.

It would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Katie