Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can you help identify

Dave_oram

Can anyone give any information on this uniform and cap badge. Would it have been the early R.A.F issue? Would that be a clock strap hanging out of his left pocket (as you look at the photo) The airmans name is W G Dannatt 119111

Any help would be appriciated

Dave

post-20084-1205157556.jpg

Well, it's a Royal Naval Air Service Petty Officer's cap badge he's wearing, and not everyone woke up in RAF uniform overnight on 1 April 1918. I have a feeling that's just a watch attached to the top pocket. On balance, think you're right; looks like a hybrid, early issue RAF outfit.

Thank you Staffsyeoman, was the R.A.F issued any old uniforms for a while, until they got the act together :mellow:

Would there be any site I could look up to read up on the start of the R.A.F in April 1918?

Cheers

Dave

It is also very probable that he is simply an RNAS other ranks, the PO cap device and the OR's device were the same pattern but distinguished by piping colour, white being PO's red being OR's. Many PO's had bullion badges too. Without seeing his sleeve for rank it is hard to say for sure, but PO's were like warrant officeers so the quality of his tunic would be bdetter if PO, IMO. However, the 'uniform' of the nascent RAF was a total muddle right through 1922, so anything is possible as any group picture of the era will confirm. Osprey has good primer on the RFC-RAF in two volumes with many good pics.

• 4 weeks later...

My uncle was in RNAS before 1 April 1918.

The family story is that the ex-RNAS officers were allowed to wear their RNAS uniforms until they wore out. As they were not happy about the changes, the RNAS officers became very skilled at keeping their old uniforms up to scratch so that they wouldn't have to switch into RAF uniforms. I understand that new RNAS uniforms were procured after 1 April 1918!

My Grandfather was an RNAS pilot in the Aegean and we have a photo of him in Naval hat with RAF badge on service dress jacket and jodpurs, very mix and match.

Rpb

I think it is as well to remember that, regardless of regulations and new orders etc. what was issued at the little hatch at the Q.M.s stores, was very much down to QMs at all levels. From the Quartermaster Sergeant up to RQMS and above. Issuing a new design in London at Army level did not always immediately empty stores. The existing materials and supplies would continue to be issued for varying lengths of time. It might also be worth pointing out that QMs were their own arbiters to an astonishing degree. Kings Regs were there and were enforced along with all sorts of parallel regulations and orders but there was always a certain amount of freethinking in their application.