Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German nurse

Trenchrat

Here's an attractive German nurse. Could someone translate her writing for me? I can tell she was writing from Frankfurt in 1916, other than that I'm lost.

post-5324-1205131762.jpg

Frankfurt am Main, 27 May 1916

Dear Miss Thünne,

You will be wondering why I have not been in touch. I have been here for 3 weeks now and have been on night duty the whole time.

I still think fondly of all the lovely chats we had, and thank you again.

Please give my best wishes to Mr & Mrs Rothenburg.

With warm regards, your

Elisabeth Hülske

Schweinerei - beaten to the punch again and over a card I could more or less read without making my eyes fizz! Well done S.G. I was scratching around to see what verb she had used in the first sentence for 'noticed' - and I still cannot make it out. What follows 'ge?

Jack

Morning, Jack - sorry ...!

There are two verbs that are not very clear, but their meaning is obvious from the context. The first one, I read as a mis-spelling – 'gearndert' for 'geahndet'. The second is 'verxxxdert' and goodness knows what it is.

Mick

Mick,

first one, 'gewundert'?????

Cnock

I'll buy that one, Jack - I was taking the mark in the air to be an umlaut, but it must be over the 'u'. I'll tweak the translation again.

Mick

It is all good practice - pity she did not have anything interesting to say, but they never do on the back of postcards

Jack

Jack,

That is true, sometimes more info in closed envelops.

Regards,

Cnock

Wow ! I didn't realize such a generic card would garner so much attention. Sue I'm afraid that you might be correct about it being a generic nurse image. What made you think it was?

John

Perhaps German habit/custom is different from British, but ...

Nurses certainly had photos of themselves made into postcards, but they were not normally sent in that form to friends and relatives - not as a postcard with a message on the back. They were usually either blank, sent in an envelope with covering letter, or they had a short message, especially if sent to a former patient or colleague - 'Best wishes from Sister Jones ... '.

In addition, if a nurse was going to get a portrait photo done, she would have gone to a photographer's studio - snapshots were taken in gardens, portrait cards were taken in a studio.

This one of a very young and pretty girl, although quite formal, is set in a garden, and reminded me a lot of the well-known British generic card below, also in a garden setting. I could be wrong, but just a gut feeling really.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Sue,

Somehow this looks like a graduation day photo - taken in the back garden by proud Dad, or uncle, or indeed the background could be a studio print of leaves and not real shrubbery. There appears to be no 'postcard' printing on the back. If John who submitted the image has the original, he may also have the answer. Is this a photo print [on sensitive paper, from a negative] or printed from a block? If the former, probably Fraulein Hülske herself, if the latter, more likely a model, unless Daddy was pretty well off. Myself, I think she's the real thing, not a model, but either way it's a lovely picture. Thanks for sharing it John.

Eric