Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Translation anybody

wulsten

Any ideas

It is a postcard mailed on (can't see date as I write this, was it Feb. 1916?) at 6-7 PM from a civilian ( I believe; no Absender Block, as required by Prussian military postal regulations for mail sent by soldiers as Feldpost) to his brother-in-law (or possibly a good friend, not related), based in Spandau. My eyes are not up to reading it at that scale, however.

Have to comment that, for someone at my speed level, reading the PC on both sides decently might be an hour's work; a lot of comparing how the individual formed certain letters, etc. The address, date, Absender Block, etc. generally quickly gives more interesting info than the text, which 95% of the time is of the gendre "warm socks, lousy soup, regards to cousin Fritz" .

Bob Lembke

Mailed Feb. 24, 1916 at 6-7 PM from the Berlin area to a soldier serving at Spandau, a Berlin suburb, where there was lots of arsenals, munition workshops and research facilities, etc., as well as Kasernen for line units. Due to heavy abbreviation not sure of the unit, last word is Amt, or office, bureau, so some sort of bureacrat; recipient is a reservist private. Not likely that the text has much military content.

Bob Lembke

As the attack at Verdun had just started, and the III. Armeekorps, a major attacking unit, was from that area, and the correspondents must have known people in III. AK, the topic very likely was mentioned.

Bob Lembke

Recepient :

Ersatz Reservist E. Plank, 5th Company, War Management Bureau (just a guess), Spandau.

Bob

The card is addressed to: Ers. Reservist E Plack, 5. Komp. Kriegs-Bekl.-Amt, Spandau, and dated Burg, 22.2.16.

It translates (roughly) as:

Dear Brother-in-law,

Thanks for your good wishes on my birthday. I was very pleased that you thought of me. So I am another year older, and it is also a year since we visited you with Georg at this time last year.

Your sister-in-law

M Möschke

The Kriegs-Bekleidungs-Amt is presumably the Army Clothing Department.

There are a couple of words I can't immediately make out, but I'm afraid I don't have time to puzzle over them.

Over to you, Bob

Mick

Over to you, Bob

Mick

Perfectly happy with your product.

Bob

Hi all,

I was hoping to hang on the coattails of this thread with a postcard translation request of my own...I have posted two on my webpage, to be found here:

http://ph0ebus13.googlepages.com/home

These are from my grandfather to a cousin in another unit, and another family member. I am hoping is has some bit of information to help me along in my family research, and not just some commentary of the bad food in the field.

Even a partial translation would be great. I have sorted out the To: and From: parts already, if that helps. If you have any questions for me, please feel free.

Thanks,

-Daniel Stern

Daniel,

The first card on your site reads thusly:

Mein lieber Simon

Beifolgend eine

Aufnahme aus unserer

letzten Stellung vor V. Hast

du keine mehr von dir, die

du mir evtl. schicken könntest.

Herzl. Gruß dem [or dein]

Bruder

Emanuel

My dear Simon,

Here is a photo from our last position in front of V. [Verdun?] Don't you have any [photos] of yourself that you could send me?

Regards to your/my brother from / Regards from your brother [not clear which!]

Emanuel

Adrian

Hi Daniel,

The second card:

Liebe Mally,

Beifolgend sende

dir eine Aufnahme

eines Rohrkrepierers

+ zwar - ist diese Auf-

nahme von der

Mündungsseite

aus gemacht.

[?]Sonstiges brieflich.

Mir geht es gut +

hoffe gleiches auch

von Euch allen.

Herzl. Gruß + Kuß

Euer

Emanuel

Dear Mally,

I'm sending you a photo of a burst gun barrel; this photo was taken from the muzzle end. [?]Further details [or simply "other news"] by letter. I'm fine and I hope the same for all of you. Best wishes & kisses,

Yours, Emanuel

Not 100% sure it says "sonstiges brieflich", but I can't come up with anything else that fits!

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Thanks so much for this. The translation you provided for the first postcard has actually reinforced a theory I have that Simon Stern was in fact Emanuel's brother, but a cousin, as I had been told (and that Mally was a sister). I now have two postcards that refer to Simon as 'bruder', and not as a cousin. Of course, I now need to find a legal document of some kind to back that up...given I have next to nothing to go on, I sent an email to the General Register Office with what little I had on Simon and Mally, who died in the UK at some point after WWII asking if the little I have is enough to locate their death certificates. Wish me luck...I am going to need it.

Thanks,

-Daniel

Daniel,

Do you know about the German Special Interest Group of the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain? If interested, PM me for contact details of the Coordinator.

Mick

Regards to your/my brother from / Regards from your brother [not clear which!]

Adrian,

He dots his i's, and there's no dot, so its "Herzl. Gruß dem Bruder", so "Regards to brother", not from. The 'm' is the same as in 'Simon'.

Mick

Hi Mick,

Given what you added, would you say it is "regards to MY brother" as in "my regards to you, (my brother) Simon", or regards to YOUR brother, as in "pass my regards on to someone else"? It may be a critical distinction for figuring out how Emanuel and Simon were related.

I am also trying to translate two notes (in pencil) on the backs of two other postcards; they are shown on the same page as the one you translated above. One shows the picture of the interior of a large monastery and looks like it says something like "Kloster Corsy..." and something else.

The second is the flamethrower picture...I cannot make out the last word. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Daniel

Daniel,

I think the small captions are "Kleiner Flammenwerfer in Tätigkeit" and "Kloster Carnoy, Innenansicht", so "Small FW in action/operation" and "Carnoy monastery, interior view".

As for "Herzl. Gruß dem Bruder", I interpret it as regards to Simon's brother, but would be glad of the opinion of others.

'Kloster' can mean 'monastery' or 'convent', and I'm fairly sure it says 'Carnoy', but again other opinions would be welcome.

Mick

Hi Mick,

Thanks for this! Incidentally, I now know (only since yesterday) that Simon and Emanuel were indeed brothers. I will be updating my web page (and family tree) accordingly.

Take care,

-Daniel