Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st royal warwickshire

phillip.deeming@sky.com

Hi,

I'm researching my great uncle, Charles Henry Deeming 958, who enlisted with the 4th battalion royal warwickshires on the 30/4/1910. According to documents i've found on Ancestry.com he was posted to france on the 19/5/1915.

According to his service and medical records he was only in the 4th battalion and 3rd labour battalion (no 191024) after he was wounded. However the long,long trail states that the 4th battalion was a training battalion and never left England!

He recieved a gun shot wound to his right knee in action on the 11/10/1916. Can anyone please tell me the location of his battalion when he was wounded?

regards,

Phil

It was on the Isle of Wight! 4th (Extra Reserve) Battalion, that is. A really unlucky long shot! Only kidding. I am sure someone will give you the location of 1st Warwicks.

Hi Phil

Being a Regular he would have served in either the 1st or 2nd Bn of the Royal Warwicks. The 2nd Bn was not serving in the Somme sector when your Great Uncle was wounded. The 1st Bn Royal Warwicks took over front line trenches near the east of Lesboefs on 9/10/16. They advanced over 500 yards and dug new line known as Antelope Trench (south of Hazy Trench). Enemy attack repulsed in the evening and on 14/10/16 the battalion was relieved and moved to Guillemont. Thus I would say he served in the 1st Bn Royal Warwicks.

Regards

Terry