Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sqns equipped with DH5

Cnock

Hello,

Could anybody tell me which RFC Sqns were equipped in september 1917 with DH5, and operating between the Belgian coast line and Diksmuide.

Regards,

Cnock

No. 32 certainly was equipped with the type at that time, Sir. I do not recall off-hand where they were based at the time, but they were involved in actions at Ypres. I have somewhere the old 'Cross and Cockade' number with a history of the squadron, and will look it up when I can find it.

Only 5 sqns operated the Dh5 on the WF - 24,32,41,64, 68 (Aus) The aircraft began to be replaced in Oct 1917 but all should have had it in Sept of that year. Exactly which part of the front those sqns were operating in I'll leave to others.

Concerning the flight area you ask for, I can't tell, but here is the info I collected on the squadrons equipped with DH5 by that time. The DH5 was used by 2 Sqn AFC, 24 Sqn, 32 Sqn, 41 Sqn, and 64 Sqn RFC operationally in France, and later in training squadrons throughout England. 45 Sqn RFC seems to have had DH5 too.

No 24 got equipped by May 1917, 41 in July 1917, 64 on Oct. 14, 1917.

Hope it helps.

Concerning the flight area you ask for, I can't tell, but here is the info I collected on the squadrons equipped with DH5 by that time. The DH5 was used by 2 Sqn AFC, 24 Sqn, 32 Sqn, 41 Sqn, and 64 Sqn RFC operationally in France, and later in training squadrons throughout England. 45 Sqn RFC seems to have had DH5 too.

No 24 got equipped by May 1917, 41 in July 1917, 64 on Oct. 14, 1917.

2 sqn AFC was in fact 68th Sqn RFC (Aus). 45 sqn never used the machine operationaly on the WF being a Reserve/training sqn at the time The list I gave is in fact ALL the sqns who OPERATED it on the WF

In addition to 45, 30,4043 55 62 & 63 Reseve/training sqns were equiped with the type as was no 3 training depot but none of these was operational on the WF

In September 1917 No 24 Sqn was based at Baizieux to 23 September and at Teteghem afterwards, No 32 Sqn was at Droglandt, No 41 Sqn was at Léalvillers, No 64 Sqn was still in the UK, as was No 68 (Australian) Sqn until 21 September, when it moved to Baizieux.

I hope that this helps.

Gareth

Gentlemen,

Thank You all for Your replies.

Regards,

Cnock

• 3 weeks later...

Most probably DH5 of 24 Sqn, crashed at Sint Pieters Kapelle on 26/9/1917

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1206212289.jpg

Cnock,

Regarding DH5s on northerly fronts in late 1917, to summarise:

32 Squadron were at Abeele for about a week in early July before moving to Droglandt where they remained until November – all this time in 22nd (Army) Wing of V Bgde in front of Ypres.

24 Squadron were at Teteghem between September and November 1917, in 14th (Army) Wing of IV Bgde in the far north.

Really interesting image. Two losses on the 26th in DH5s:

A9175 DH5 24Sqn **OP seen ok BELGIUM >ene 2000' 2-45pm MIA(2Lt A Taylor POW) 26Sep.17 left 2-15pm to nr T.18, seen Sh12 T.18

A9194 DH5 32Sqn **OP British shell o't MENIN RD-POLYGON WOOD MIA(2Lt FC Andrews POW) 26Sep.17 seen o't in air 1-45pm, report: fell out? Any help?

Regards,

Trevor

Hello Trevor,

Thanks for the additional info!

Sheet 12 T.18 is Leke, that vilage is adjacent to Sint-Pieters Kapelle, where the pic was taken.

There exists also a close up of the crashed DH5, pics were taken by FLieger Abt. 293

Regards,

Cnock