Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Evacuating Anzac

alliekiwi

I was looking through photographs at the AWM and saw the photo of the cricket game at Shell Green on 17 December 1915. Under it, part of the description said This game was an attempt to distract the Turks from the imminent departure of allied troops.

I know the evacuation of Gallipoli was sanctioned on December 7th, with Anzac Cove and Suvla (I think) being evacuated first, followed by Helles later on. How about the French - when did they leave?

Also, did they start taking off equipment before they started evacuating men, hence the cricket game before the troops left?

And do we know in which order the troops left, as we know in which order the Battalions landed?

Allie

full of questions today

There is a good description of the evacuation of Suvla starting on page 185 of Nicholson's test "The Fighting Newfoundlander". Back then Newfoundland was a British colony, they were not Canadians. On page 187 he refers to the deception of the Turks "by simulating normal activity". You will find it interesting to read of the activities to increase the deception. Nicholson reports that 83,000 officers and men were evacuated along with 186 guns, nearly 2,000 vehicles and 4700 horses and mules. Not a single casualty and not a gun nor an animal was left on shore. Amazing! No mention of the French. The Germans reported it as a "hitherto unattained masterpiece".

After Suvla came the evacuation at Helles. On page 189 Nicholson reports that the British ordered the final evacuation of Cape Helles on December 28th and that the British 29th had to fill the gap when the French Government insisted on withdrawing its contingent for service elsewhere.

Allie,

Your best source for information on the evacuation is the Australian official War History, Vol II, by C.E.W. Bean.

On line from the AWM.

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/chapter.asp?volume=3

Chapter XXX

For all the stats to the final evacuatins, A, B, & C Parties, pages 876 & 877.

There is a previous topic on this forum with regard to the Shell Green cricket match photograph. It was the only test match played on Gallipoli between the 1st & 3rd Light Horse Brigades.

Jeff

Thanks for those suggestions, Richard and Jeff. I'll definitely be reading both suggested sources.

Allie

Allie,

You can read about the evacuation as it was seen from the navy's viewpoint in

The Naval Review, Vol IV, (1916) page 320-323, "SOME NOTES ON THE EVACUATION OF SUVLA AND ANZAC. December 1915"

It's available to down-load here http://www.naval-review.org/issues/1916-2.pdf

regards

Michael

ps: If I remember correctly the French left Helles in December with the RND taking over their section of the line

quote: "...Anzac Cove and Suvla (I think) being evacuated first, followed by Helles later on. How about the French - when did they leave?"

Further to my ps above

In respect of Helles, the final decision to evacuate the last of the French earlier than the Brits was made on Christmas Day at a conference between Generals Birdwood, Davies and Brulard. It was seen as advantageous to have a unified command for the last stages, though the French very gallantly agreed to leave their artillery behind and it was eventually evacuated along with ours.

the att. map is from the British OH

EvacuationHelles.jpg

One word of clarification

Laughton's post above and my own are not contradictory

The 29th Div (after too few days rest on the islands following the Suvla evacuation) did replaced the French in the Helles Order of Battle.

While the French trenches were actually taken over by the RND moving eastwards

Also of interest is that most RND accounts speak of how surprised they were at the state of the French trenches

In particular they were taken aback by the fact that they had corrugated iron roofing which they had not seen before

To rub salt into the wound they found that the sheeting was 'Made in England'

regards

Michael