Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Frank Houghton LYNES (Non-Comm)

Neil Clark

This isn't the first time I have requested additional information on this man. I don't really know what more I can do. If I can't trace a death then there isn't much point continuing. I'm almost 100% convinced that he was captured by the Germans in 1915 and that he died whilst in their custody. I haven't been able to find any official record that confirms this or indeed his death at all. It's almost as though after he was captured and then completely vanished!

I can't locate his service papers from the National Archives, they appear to have been destroyed during WW2. The only proof I have with regard to the POW story is 2 newspaper articles which clearly state he was missing or had been captured in 1915! Add to that the fact his name is on Charing War Memorial and thats about all I have...

It would help if I could trace his actual death. There doesn't appear to be any UK DC which further supports the POW story.

I would welcome any kind of help. I don't want to give up on this case because I'm convinced he is a genuine non-comm.

Here is the story so far -

Private Frank Houghton LYNES. 1st Battalion, Northamptonshire Regiment. Missing / Died 9th May 1915 aged 27 years. Born Feltwell, Norfolk 17th December 1887. Born Feltwell, Thetford, Norfolk 17th December 1887. Second son of Mr Issac Lynes (a Groom) and Hannah Lynes (Nee Pledger) of the King’s Head Hotel, Charing, Ashford, Kent. Formerly residing The Lodge, Feltwell, Norfolk. Brother of Mrs Annie Louisa Taylor (nee Lynes) of Eye, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire.

The Ashford 1918 Absentee Voters List gives –

The King’s Head Hotel, Charing

Private 495444 Frederick Ralph LYNES. Royal Army Medical Corps.

Private 265600 Herbert Richard LYNES. Queen’s Own (Royal West Kent Regiment).

The following casualty was Frank’s brother, he was killed at Ypres 2 -

Private 2142 Sidney George LYNES. 5th Battalion, King’s Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment). Died Sunday 25th April 1915. Born Feltwell, Brandon September 1889. Enlisted Lancaster. Resided Charing. Third son of Mr Issac Lynes and Hannah Lynes (Nee Pledger) of the King’s Head Hotel, Charing, Kent. Buried in the Poperinghe Old Military Cemetery, Poperinghe, Belguim. Grave reference II.K.33.

The undermentioned casualty ARTHUR TAYLOR was Frank’s Nephew (son of his sister Annie Louise Taylor (nee Lynes) note the mention of Frank Lynes (Missing for several months? POW?)

1901 Census

The Lodge

Isaac LYNES 50 Coachman S…….sham, Norfokl

Hannah 35 Hendon, Suffolk

Frank H 13 Feltwell, Norfolk

Sydney G 11 Feltwell, Norfolk

Herbert R 8 Feltwell, Norfolk

Frederick R 3 Feltwell, Norfolk

I have written twice to the International Committee of the Red Cross in Geneva Switzerland requesting information/confirmation but neither letter has been replied to or for that matter even acknowledged!

• 2 weeks later...

Neil

he is not listed on Feltwell or Eye War Memorial

Chris

Chris,

Oh well it looks like I will have to shelve this one for the time being. I refuse to forget it because I'm utterly convinced he died whilst still in German custody. I wonder how many other men died like this and were forgotten?

I can't trace his service records from the National Archives and without these I can't prove he served at all. As I have said, all I have is his name on Charing War Memorial and a couple of newspaper articles stating he was captured/missing. I can't trace a UK death which further backs up my theory.

Anyone any ideas?

Neil,

I'm not sure whether this helps but I cannot confirm that Frank Lynes ever served in the Northamptonshire Regiment i.e. there is no Medal Index Card to a soldier of this name in the Northants. Assuming he was 1/Northants killed at Aubers Ridge then he would have received medals don't you think?

If there was a MIC then him being "missing from the records" would be plausible. However, no MIC could mean that you may have an "undetected alias" and that Frank Lynes was one of the 240-odd 1/Northants killed on 9/5/15 after all.

Personally I'd go with your instincts - the newspaper and memorial are correct he was a casualty - just maybe not recorded by officialdom as Frank Lynes !

Best wishes.

Andy.

Andy,

Thats very helpful. The point you make is entirely reasonable in the circumstances and I haven't considered it to date. I already knew no MIC existed. You may well be on the money with your suggestion he served under an alias. If so then perhaps he was killed on the Aubers Ridge with other members of his battalion. If so, what is the likely date of death in your opinion?

I don't suppose there is any way of confirming this without pulling the service papers of all known casualties and hoping something fits. Then again I don't suppose all of these will have survived the WW2 bombing...

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread and reply, I was starting to think no one could help.... I would dearly love to get to the bottom of this mystery. I feel very close to this chap after so long thinking about what happened to him...

I guess it's still possible he died in German custody and was forgotten by the authorities. This might explain the absence of MIC's and or service docs etc...

Neil

I have a partial list of about 80 Missing 1st Bn. men from the Times of 23-6-1915 (though I know more must have been Missing than that), but neither a Lynes nor a Houghton is mentioned. I shall try to have a look and see if I can see anything in the period next time I hit the local papers.

Also, No mention in David Gray's "No More Strangers" book about Peterborough men killed during the war. However, I shall be picking up the Revised Edition tomorrow and he shall be 2nd on my list!

Also, no entry yet in my nascent database under Lynes, and no suitable Houghton, either.

Steve.

Hi Neil,

Been away for a few days so apologies for no earlier reply. After my original post I did a quick trawl with SDGW but then the Forum crashed and I couldn't post my findings.

I would take a good look at this chap:

SMITH, FRANK

Initials: F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Northamptonshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 09/05/1915

Service No: 16562

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 28 to 30.

Memorial: LE TOURET MEMORIAL

SDGW records him as born Feltwell, Suffolk*, enlisted Peterborough, Northants.....................right regiment, right battalion, right date, right Christian name, and right place of birth and enlistment (since his sister lived in Peterborough), and there is no Frank Smith on Feltwell War Memorial. More than a bit of a coincidence perhaps? ;)

Best wishes.

Andy.

* probably a misunderstanding although I understand Feltwell, Norfolk is actually close to Suffolk.

Andy,

My goodness! It looks like you may have something here.... I have always discounted the possibility of an alias being used. I will come back to you soon.

I can't thank you enough....

All the very best.

Neil

Just an update. The Revised edition of No More Strangers does not list him under Lynes, Houghton, nor Smith, I'm afraid.

A quick look at the Peterborough Advertiser for June 1915 does not reveal him, either. Probably not surprising if he served under an alias.

Also the Mayor's Roll of Honour for men serving from Peterborough in early 1915 does not mention him. 16000 numbers are sort of borderline for inclusion, anyway.

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

I now think this mystery has been solved thanks to Andy and your goodself.

I am very grateful indeed. I owe you both...

Neil