Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gommecourt 1/7/16

7:29am

Hi,

Would anyone have a copy of a trenchmap of the Gommecourt on the opening day of the somme, am particularly interested to see where the 1/14th went in. Also if anyone can enlighten me on the exploits of this regiment i would be very very very grateful.

Regards

Jim

Hi,

Would anyone have a copy of a trenchmap of the Gommecourt on the opening day of the somme, am particularly interested to see where the 1/14th went in. Also if anyone can enlighten me on the exploits of this regiment i would be very very very grateful.

Here's a map overlaid on a modern map. The LS attacked the Farmer, Farmyard, Farm stronghold. Anything in particular you want?

post-49-1204658726.jpg

Thankyou very much!

I have just become the very proud owner of my first memorial plaque which commemorates a London Scottish soldier killed on the opening day of the Somme. I am very interested in putting together a nest of information around it. So i was looking for an account of the regiments exploit and possibly a copy of the map the officers would have had available to them at 7:30AM with the area they would have jumped from (thankyou for the information on their objectives).

I am absolutly over the moon!

If anyone would care to share any maps / documents etc i would be eternally grateful

Kind Regards

Jim

Jim,

I am revising my book about the 56th Division at Gommecourt and I hope it may be ready late April. It covers all of the battalions in some depth.

Bill

Jim,

I am revising my book about the 56th Division at Gommecourt and I hope it may be ready late April. It covers all of the battalions in some depth.

Bill

Will it be published? if so let me know where i can get hold of it.

Jim,

It is about to be re-published and I can't recommend it highly enough. It is the closest I have ever been to reading a book about the Great War and feeling like I was there.

Ken