Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Victoria Falls War Memorial

BeppoSapone

The February 2004 issue of "Family Tree" Magazine has a short article on the WW1 Memorial at Livingstone, now in Zambia.

The author lists the names and units of the dead, and says that these "names may not have found there way onto regular Army or war grave records". Anyone know anything about this?

I have tried to find three of the names on the CWGC site, but only found one. I did find a possible relative of a nurse, Nurse M G A Beaufort, VAD as another Nurse Beaufort is listed as being buried in South Africa, one initial and it wasn't M, G or A!

Beppo

As this is not a CWGC memorial, it will have all the same potential problems as other local memorials - different spellings, wrong names, non-qualifying names etc.

Post a list of the names and I will check CWGC for you.

The only CWGC memorials in Zambia are..

Abercorn Memorial

Livingstone Camp Memorial

Lusaka Memorial

Terry

Thanks, I will post the article as soon as I find the time to scan it.

Cheers

Terry

Thanks, I will post the article as soon as I find the time to scan it.

As promised

post-19-1076114386.jpg

Beppo

I will look at the names as promised but I have to say I was amazed by the unrelated postcard above the story.

Gordon Road, Ealing..... I used to live there!!!!!!!!!!

Beppo

Got to hit the hay now but I have found my first random six names with no problem.

Will continue tomorrow (oops later today).

The three I tried were: Bacon, Beaufort & Minshall. Might be me, but I only found the last one.

Beppo

I will look at the names as promised but I have to say I was amazed by the unrelated postcard above the story.

Gordon Road, Ealing..... I used to live there!!!!!!!!!!

All this, and a postcard too!

Can send the whole postcard article if interested.

I have found all the names in the CWGC database except Bacon and Beaufort.

However, I have a strong candidate for Bacon but cannot pursue it without further info.

It is possible that Nurse Beaufort does not qualify for war grave status as many VADs did not. However, I have contacted Jim Strawbridge to see if he has a record of her in his extensive female files. Of course, it could be an error for Nurse K.Beaufort SANS.

I have found all the names in the CWGC database except Bacon and Beaufort.

However, I have a strong candidate for Bacon but cannot pursue it without further info.

It is possible that Nurse Beaufort does not qualify for war grave status as many VADs did not. However, I have contacted Jim Strawbridge to see if he has a record of her in his extensive female files. Of course, it could be an error for Nurse K.Beaufort SANS.

Sods law then, I only tried three names and could not find the same two, Bacon and Beaufort.

Not finding these two, coupled with the text of the article, made me post the query.

I am pleased to hear that all are recognised, assuming that the South African nurse is the correct person, and that "your" Bacon turns out to be "the" Bacon.