Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RND

Tim Birch

It seems that Midshipmen well under 18 years old served on RN ships and went into action with them. What about the RND? Were there Midshipmen serving in the RND? And if so were they subject to the 18 years old minimum age limit for active service as were men in the Army?

Tim

Hi Tim

My Granddad was in the RMLI and was stationed both on ship, then in France. His age upon enlistment in September 1914 was 17 yrs & 9 months at a height 5'3 & half. I am sure that I have seen a scan somewhere of an original poster for the RM/RND etc which states the minimum age of 18 and a minimum height of 5'4. He started active service in July 1915 after his initial training by which time he was 18. Whether they allowed him to join because he would have been 18 by the time he was called up for active service I don't know.

Dee

Tim,

The poster mentioned above by Dee was for recruits

“between the ages of 18 and 38,

chest measurement 34

height 5ft 31/2in

Payment from 1/3 per day”

The poster mentions the original 8 Naval Battalions but does not mention the RMLI

From my own reading I cannot recollect ever having come across any reference to a Midshipman in the RND. Perhaps someone else can answer if at this time boys under 18 years of age were serving with the RMLI as buglers or drummers?

Regards

Michael D.R.