Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Norfolk Regiment, Laskey Albert, Pte 6815

lancsbabe

I am looking for any information on my grandfather Albert Alfred Laskey born 1894 Norwich, Norfolk, England

died 3 march 1935 age 41. Thorpe Tt Andrews hospital Blofield.

R.D. policeman at mustard works

6815 Pte A Laskey

1st Battalion.Gun shot wound face,

1 General Hospital Harvre 3.2.1915

Sent home to England 4.3.1915.

norfolk regiment

Kind Regards Jill Pengelly

Jill

Welcome to the Forum !

The 1 Norfolks were part of 15 Brigade of 5 Division and based in France and Flanders at the time of your interest. If you look in the Long Long Trail at top left of this page you will see many links to soldiering at that time. See here for 5 Division's actions:

http://www.1914-1918.net/5div.htm

I deduce that during the early part of 1915 the 1 Norfolks were in the area of Ypres in Belgium,but can't give you anything precise at this stage. Precision can come from either others in the know here,or from the Battalion's War Diary,which is kept at Kew under reference WO95/1573 for the period you require.

Your subject would have been transported to Le Havre after being wounded,via the Field Ambulance and Casualty Clearing Station route normal to the battlefield at the time,and then shipped home by sea,probably to Southampton,and then on to a UK Hospital for final recovery. From the Medal Card it seems that he rejoined a different Regiment when he became fit for duty once more. It looks to me like it was the Essex Regiment. This change of Regt.often happened after a wounding or sickness which necessitated hospitalisation or longer recovery.

There might be someone here who can give you details from the war Diary or Regimental History.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Hi Jill

Is this your man

1901 England Census

about Albert Laskey

Name: Albert Laskey

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1893

Relation: Son

Father's Name: Albert

Mother's Name: Lilla

Where born: Upper Hellesdon, Norfolk, England

Civil Parish: Norwich

Ecclesiastical parish: Lakenham All Saints and Lakenham St John the Baptist and and Trowse St Andrew

Town: Lakenham

County/Island: Norfolk

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:

View Image

Registration district: Norwich

Sub-registration district: West Wymer

ED, institution, or vessel: 41

Neighbors: View others on page

Household schedule number: 161

Household Members:

Name Age

William Goodrum 20

Albert Laskey 36

Albert Laskey 8

Emma Laskey 4

Frank Laskey 1

Herbert Laskey 6

Horace Laskey 10

Lilla Laskey 31

Violet Laskey 2

The mic card you have is for AB Laskey and the birth/death details you have are for Albert A Laskey do you know for certain that it's the right mic

Mel

Thank you for your reply,

I am quite new to this but learning all the time i spend reserching.

I dont know where to start looking for information or what to expect in my reserch,

I am hoping to learn more about which battles he fought in on what battle fields, or ships he sailed on. pictures of his regiment ect.

I will have a look on what you sent me and see what i can learn from it.

Regards Jill

Yes this is my grandad is name being Albert Alfred Laskey,

and his card is correct as it has down A B Laskey.

My auntie has his medals with his number on being 6815 and his name

Thank you Regards Jill

Hi Jill

sorry , I was'nt being awkward but I can't find anything on Ancestry or other sites I use.

Someone will know something so Good Luck and Good Hunting

Mel

Hi Jill,

not much to add...Albert will have been sent out to the battalion as a draft of reinforcements (this may be mentioned in the battalion War Diary). The battalion were holding trenches in the Wulverghem sector during January and February 1915,

cheers, Jon

Difficult to see the details on the small photos.

The one on the left look like the Essex Regiment badge, I think.

I both pictures he has a lanyard at his shoulder, and in the right hand picture I think he is waering spurs. This may mean that he was attached to the transport section of his battalion and worked with horses in some fashion.

Steve.

Jill

His Essex service number indicates that he was part of a draft from the Norfolk Regiment who transferred to the Essex Regiment and were sent as reinforcements to 1st Essex in Gallipoli. I believe that they landed in Gallipoli on 9th October 1915.

Albert Laskey was reported wounded in the Essex Chronicle of 5th October 1917. I have no battalion details. He was reported Missing the in the War Office List of 15th May 1918. I believe that this list is associated with 11th Battalion casualties at Morchies on 21/22 March 1918.

He was formally reported POW in the War Office List of 7th August 1918.

Regards

Owen

I would like to thank everyone who has helped me in my reserch and the history about my grandfather Albert Alfred Laskey,

I have found out lots of information and now i know my grandfather certainly had an eventful war.

This is my story

He was in thel Norfolk Regiment went to the Western Front.

Recived a bullet wound in his jaw, went back to Norwich, England to hospital,

After his recovery he transferred and were sent as reinforcements to 1st Essex in Gallipoli The ship he was on was the Royal Edward and was hit by a torpido and sank on 13th August , He was one of the survivors.

He may have been in the reinforcements which landed on 9 October, that a further batch of 150 3rd Norfolk's transferred to the Essex Regt. on 29th September, he was possibly in that batch.

He was posted missing 15/5/18, around the Morchies area, that suggests he came back from Gallipoli to the Western Front.

He was reported POW.

The good bit, he survived the war and went on to marry my grandmother Mildred Olive Wakefield they lived in Surlingham Norwich Norfolk, and had four daughters (one of which is my mother Violet ) He was a police constable at Colmans mustard works My grandfather died due to war injuries in the Thorpe St Andrews hospital at the age of 41 in 1935.

And that brings this story to a close.

I would like to give a special thanks for the Great War Fourms

Kind Regards Jill Pengelly

Jill, you may need to revisit your last post when I send details from the 1st Bn. War Diary this afternoon. Two other details from Owens post suggest he may have been in the reinforcements which landed on 9 October, you will see from my piece about the Royal Edward (sunk on 13th August) that a further batch of 150 3rd Norfolk's transferred to the Essex Regt. on 29th September, he was possibly in that batch. Owen also points out that he was posted missing 15/5/18, around the Morchies area, that suggests he came back from Gallipoli to the Western Front.

The good news is that he survived the war. It is probable from your earlier post about his occupation after the war that he worked at the Coleman's Mustard Works.

Keith

Jill, the following information gleaned from Norfolk Regimental Museum.

Albert does not appear on the 'Roll of NCO's and Men' for the 1st Bn. taken at Holywood Barracks, Belfast on 9/8/1914.

The War Diary from 13/11/14 to the date of his hospitalization:

14/11/14 Attached to 14th Inf. Bd.? at DRANOUTRE (according to James 'British Regiments 1914-1918' they formed part of 15th Inf. Bde.

18/11/14 Took over trenches at KEMMEL from the French.

27/11/14 Relieved by ROYAL FUSILIERS and moved to billets at DRANOUTRE.

30/11/14 Sent 150 men of (D COY) to support BEDFORDS.

2/12/14 1 officer and 90 men joined as reinforcements.

3/12/14 Took over trenches from DORSETS at WOLVERGEM.

8/12/14 Relieved by BEDFORDS, returned to billets at DRANOUTRE.

10/12/14 Brigade Reserve at JEAN ST. CHAPPELLE.

14/12/14 Moved to NEUVE EGLISE.

17/12/14-28/12/14 Relieved DCLI at MESSINES. Very bad, wet approach.

29/12/14 Relieved by KOYLI, returned to billets at BAILLEUL. In Reserve.

4/1/15 To billets at DRANOUTRE. 40 men arrive.

7/1/15 Relieved 1st CHESHIRE'S at WULVERGEM. Very wet, trenches waistdeep.

11 1 15 To billets at DRANOUTRE.

13/1/15 45 men arrive. Relieve 1st CHESHIRE'S in trenches.

14/1/15 1 wounded.

15/1/15 1 killed.

16/1/15 Relieved by WEST KENT'S. In Reserve.

21/1/15 80 men joined.

24/1/15 To billets near DRANOUTRE.

27/1/15 Moved to DRANOUTRE.

28/1/15 Relieved 1st CHESHIRE'S nr WULVERGEM. Bad trenches, considerable sniping. 1 killed, 2 wounded. Hard frost

29/1/15 Hard frost. 1 killed, 1 wounded.

30/1/15 Hard frost. 1 killed, 6 wounded.

31/1/15 Snow. 3 killed 2 wounded.

1/2/15 Returned to BAILLEUL.

8/2/15 HM King of Belgians inspected 15th Infantry Brigade. (note: Albert in 1st General Hospital, Havre 3/2/15).

As he's not on the 'Roll' before they left for France it's possible Albert was part of the reinforcements received between 2/12/14 and 21/1/15.

The first recorded casualty was 1 man wounded on 14/1/15 and 10 wounded up to the time Albert was hospitalised, theoretically he should be one of the 10.

Finally, did Albert have family that also served. I found 3 other Laskey's in the casualty book. J., H. C. W. and W. D. (probably William Donald)?

Keith

Hopefully i have got my story correct now,

But i know i have a lot more to learn about the great war.

Jill

post-30973-1204843364.jpg

Hello Jill, I live near Surlingham and wonder if you have an address there so that maybe I could take a photo for you? Not being too pinickity here I hope, but the Norfolks were not a Royal regiment until 1935/36 and even afterwards were always known as just the Norfolks, or even the Ninth to some old timers.

Lionboxer

Thank you i would love a picture the address is

IVY COTTAGE SURLINGHAM

Albert alfred laskey married mildred olive wakefield.

they spent the first part of their married life living with mildred's parents,

They went on from there to 14 carrow hill where my mother was born, then thorpe st andrews where albert died in 1935 in the hospital, i think he is burried in the church yard so my mum tells me.

Albert wife mildred became ill and my mother violet was sent to colne lancashire she did not know much about her background history ancestry, that i why i am resercghing for her (she is 84 and in good helth)

mildred lived till she was 96 died in brundell norwich, we did see her and kept in touch but she never talked much about her life.

regards jill

Albert Alfred Laskey

Norfolk Regiment 3/6815

Essex Regiment 20720

post-30973-1204903915.jpg

post-30973-1204904298.jpg

That's better.

The one on the left is the Norfolk Regiment (you can see the Britannia figure in his badge).

On the right hand picture he is wearing his 1914 Star ribbon, placing the date of the picture as 1918+. His left sleeve sports a wound stripe (presumably from his wound with the Norfolks), whilst his right sleeve has several (possibly two or three) overseas stripes on it. A close-up might help differentiate them. He should have a Red 1914 stripe and the rest as blue. His cap badge resembles that of the Essex Regiment.

Steve.

• 3 months later...

I had a letter from the CICR Today this is the information i recived,

Name, LASKEY, Albert Alfred

Date of birth 23.10.1892

Place of birth Norwich

Rank Private

Unit 11th Essex

Service number 20720

Date and place of capture 21.03.1918,Morchies

Places of detention Prisoner of war in German hands detained in Munster

II Lager, coming from the front (according to a list