Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Carrière Wellington Museum

Pierre

Here's what I added in another thread.....

The guide wasn't very useful, and basically just knew a script. Historic details like original telephone cable fixtures were completely ignored by the guide. The videos shown in the tunnel were not that

informative, The majority of original signs painted on the walls were either arrows and the letters WC or the word Latrine. There is a mock up of a latrine down there too! The lighting is dark and moody and you miss lots of detail. For example there was a flight of steps leading to the surface, but you could see little of it. When I got home my flash photo showed a couple of abandoned Brodies that were just not visible to the naked eye. The wall drawings and some carvings are covered with a very fine mesh so they are difficult to see and almost impossible to photograph.

The best bit was the limited display in the waiting area where they show examples of French, British and German kit plus some New Zealand tunnelling gear.

Basically I think they have got it all wrong and it's a missed opportunity.

GB :(

Hello

Visited the Carriere Wellington on Saturday. Found the whole thing superb. Great welcome, superb facilities up-top, excellent experience underground. Some very moving elements.

Having visited the Western Front for over 10 years, this feels like exactly where it needs to go. Investment in quality experiences, well designed facilities, and enthusiastic people. The world is changing - and things have to move on. Contrast it with a visit to Sanctuary Wood museum, which in my experience is exactly the opposite of the above. As I see it, these latest exhibits are being designed and laid-out for the benifit not just of the WW1 buffs, but people new to the area with perhaps only limited knowledge or interest in what actually happened 90 years ago. Hopefully, some will take away an abiding desire to find out more about the sacrifices made all those years ago and perpetuate their memory.

Ian

• 4 months later...

Visited Carriere Wellington yesterday, most unusual and fascinating and all for euro 6.50. Just to warn you that this week, due to holidays you may need to wait for the next tour , there are only about 15 people per tour.

I visited last week and found it fascinating. The guide was great, when he saw I was looking about for the WW1 graffiti, he informed me that he would point it all out, which he duly did !

Great value as previously mentioned, also as Ian mentions this must be the best way to preserve, display and educate in relation to any WW1 site that I know of.

Mick