Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen Alexandra Nurse Certificate

old-ted

Hello Forum Pals.

Looking through a web site on QA Nurses we noticed that Queen Alexandra had sent a postcard greeting to each nurse serving in France for Christmas 1914. We have a framed print 12.5" X 9.5" of the same picture. Were there several versions? On the one we have the photo of QA is applied to the print.

Any information would be great.

Thank you.

John & Kathleen

post-28333-1204437908.jpg

Hi John and Kathleen

Thats the same one we have, our is in a lovely oak frame and bought for the lovelier sum of 12 pounds last year. It is actually a very high quality printing. I have never seen any others. Although whenever I say that I start seeing them everywhere.

Mick

John, Kathleen, Mick

This print is not one of the card that Queen Alexandra sent out to the members of her own service at Christmas 1914. In the one above, the nurse is actually a VAD, and I have a feeling that the QAs would not have been very impressed! I think the VAD image is probably the original, which was adjusted for HRH to include with her Christmas gift - the numbers of nurses who received the QA version in 1914 was small, which is why there are so few to be found now (if any). I also believe, but have no source, that there was an issue of copies of the original in the 1930s, when the 'Angel of Pity' went through a revival due to the book of the same name.

I've attached a black and white scan of the QA Christmas card - not in colour as I unfortunately don't have an original :(

Sue

post-416-1204447973.jpg

Sue

As you would expect, we have the 'QA' one. Would you like a colour scan?

Pete

Sue

As you would expect, we have the 'QA' one. Would you like a colour scan?

Pete

Thanks to all for your replies.

Is there any way to date the print? We can't seem to trace a definitive date.

The other thing we would like to know is the name of the artist, any suggestions?

Best Wishes

John & Kathleen