Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Gunner

IanA

I thought folks may be interested to see this model of a gunner.

post-12111-1204402285.jpg

It was made by Alexander Carrick who, after the war, made many war memorials. He served as a gunner in the RGA and modelled the original out of Belgian clay. He made friends with a Belgian artist called Leopold Beun who assisted him in the creation of a plaster copy which was sent to Edinburgh and cast in bronze.

Guest soren1916

fabulous, made by a man who served, out of the clay that so many soldiers were to die in, a very moving and strong image.

Ian - Many thanks for posting that! Fascinating! I'd love to see some other views of this if possible. Is the photo of the bronze? Where is the sculpture today?

All the best,

Dan

Ian - Many thanks for posting that! Fascinating! I'd love to see some other views of this if possible. Is the photo of the bronze? Where is the sculpture today?

Hi Dan.

The photo is, indeed, of the bronze which is cared for by Carrick's daughter. I can't seem to find any other views just now but if you go to this site:

http://www.alexandercarrick.webeden.co.uk/

you'll find much more information. I'm quite proud that, with the generous help of Aurel Sercu, I was able to identify the Belgian artist who had assisted Carrick all those years ago. I will attach a sketch taken from a pad which Carrick had with him at Ypres. This may have been a study for 'The Gunner'.

post-12111-1204467858.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very moving as it was created by a man who sruvived those situations and who would have very haunted memories of those times, thanks for posting.

Regards,

Mitch

Thanks for the responses. I've looked at this gunner many times and run my fingers over the bronze. I find it moving that the original was modelled in Flanders clay assisted by a Belgian artist. It was shown at an exhibition in Edinburgh while the sculptor was still serving his battery near Ypres.