Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sister May Grant T F N A

Carolann

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me find the only woman listed on our 1st WW Memorial.

Sister May Grant - T F N A

I have searched the CWGC but have come up with nothing, where would May's death be registered please, and would there be any information on her.

Kind regards Carol

Hi

this may be of no use but.

May D Grant born 1890 died 1917, Death registered in Ely Cambridgeshire.

its the only May Grant i came across.

also once i researched a memorial in Shropshire, it remembered an Annie Ruff, however finally i traced the lady to be a Dorothy Annie Reed!!!!!

The link below will probably not help, but who knows

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=327507

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...?casualty=78645

Hi

Thanks for your help but the two links you gave me are not who I am looking for. May would have had something to do with the Parish of Duthil, Inverness-Shire, Scotland.

Do you know what T F N A stands for?

Cheers Carol

Cheers forgot about going to Archives, sounds like my girl.

I thought she would have been part of the T F N S but the last letter "A" through me in her inscription on the memorial.

Will let you know.

Kind regards Carol

Hi

I got her medal card and it looks as though it says, "No service over seas", in fact that is all the information it has on it apart from her name . I wonder was she a Sister in a recovery hospital, perhaps she is the lady you found in Ely that died in 1917. Was there some sort of convalescing hospital in that area.

I have attached her Medal Card.

Cheers Carol

may_grant.pdf

Carol

She has a service file at The National Archives, WO399/11613. Her place of birth/residence is largely irrelevant - she could have been working anywhere in the UK - wherever she was posted - so the Ely reference is as good as any. The file will answer the questions.

Sue

As the war memorial would have been raised locally it is quite possible that whoever prepared the list thought that Territorial Force Nursing Association would be right. Hence TFNA. May does not have a CWGC cared-for grave so is not to be found through their website. She is, however, named on the York Minster panels. The likelihood is that she is Scottish born and bred as her name is on the Scottish Military Nursing Services memorial in Edinburgh.

Hi All

Thank you for your help May would have been born more than likely in the Parish of Duthil, Inverness-Shire, Scotland. I have checked the 1881 census for that area and found a May Grant born 2nd June 1877 - Father John Grant - Mother May McGilvary.

Thanks also for the explanation of why the "A", instead of the "S".

Is it possible to get a picture of the York Minster Panels and the Scottish Military Nursing Services Memorial, Edinburgh.

Thank you once again for all your help and suggestions.

I am a member of Ancestry so if you want me to look up Medal Cards etc please get in touch.

Kind regards Carol

Hi All

Thank you for your help May would have been born more than likely in the Parish of Duthil, Inverness-Shire, Scotland. I have checked the 1881 census for that area and found a May Grant born 2nd June 1877 - Father John Grant - Mother May McGilvary.

Thanks also for the explanation of why the "A", instead of the "S".

Is it possible to get a picture of the York Minster Panels and the Scottish Military Nursing Services Memorial, Edinburgh.

Thank you once again for all your help and suggestions.

I am a member of Ancestry so if you want me to look up Medal Cards etc please get in touch.

Kind regards Carol

Carol, send me your email address through the pm system and I will send you an attachment photograph of the appropriate York Minster panel.

Carol, send me your email address through the pm system and I will send you an attachment photograph of the appropriate York Minster panel.

Hello Carol, Your email address received and photograph of panel 2 in York Minster showing May's name is on the way to you, Kind regards, Jim

Your email address received and photograph of panel 2 in York Minster showing May's name is on the way to you.

Hi Jim thank your for all your time and effort.

Kind regards Carol

• 1 month later...

I would like to say thank you to all for the help in researching Sister May Grant T. F. N. S.

I received May Grants record from NA today.......May never served abroad she was a Sister in the T.F.N.S. and was mobilized on August 4th 1914, (It also has Date when called up as the 05/02/1915) served in the Glasgow Royal Infirmary as Nursing Sister in the Military Wards, then was transferred to the 4th General Scottish Hospital, Stobhill, Glasgow and served there up to the time of her illness at the end of October 1918. She died in the Victoria Infirmary on the 2nd November 1918 of Pneumonia following Influenza. May’s record was exemplary, in fact in one letter it states, "A record will be kept at the War Office of the cheerful, willing service Sister Grant has rendered to her country while on Active Service at home".

I thank you for all your help in this matter.

Kind regards Carol